Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Aug 04 - Never been to the Caribbean!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are trying to plan a honeymoon in August of this year - after a lot of research, we've narrowed it down to BVI. We've never been to the Caribbean, so we are clueless! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Specifically, we're looking at:
Peter Island
Little Dix Bay
I've heard pros and cons on both, so we're having a hard time deciding.
Some questions:
Is it true that during the summer (off-season) things are closed? Is there anything to do at night at either place? We don't want a 'club' atmosphere, but I've heard that everything is dead in the summer months (bars and restaurants close early in the evening)?

We also considered Four Seasons Nevis, but due to time constraints, we can't take advantage of the "Romance Package" which is a great deal, but 7 nights is too long.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Sunnyboy

While August is "off season" in the BVI's you'll still find plenty to do. I'd pick LDB over PI since you will have easy access to all the restaurants and bars on Virgin Gorda. The resort itself is top notch and there are many wonderful deserted beaches for you to visit. While a few places on the island may be closed you will still find plenty of places to go and things to entertain you. I've been to LDB several times in late July and early August and have always had an enjoyable time. LDB is perfect for those people who want to stay at a first class resort but like to venture off the property to experience the local culture.

Because PI is a private island resort and you are pretty much stuck with their "on-resort" nightlife. The resort, itself, is very nice, they have a great staff and very good food & service. Go here if you are the type of people who don't like to leave the resort.

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice. We liked the look of LDB...but we're still looking at other places. Do you have any other suggestions for a relaxing honeymoon - but someplace that has activities/nightlife off the resort? I know we're in the BVI section, but do you know anything about Grenada?

Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:17 AM

try
www.laluna.com
for info about Grenada.
We loved Antigua in August
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

toppy - where did you stay in Antigua? That is another place we've been looking in to. We like the look of Jumby Bay, but the price is a little out of our budget. Any other suggestions for a nice place to stay there?
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:08 AM

I would suggest Bel Air Plantation in Grenada. We recently stayed there and just loved it. Perfect for a honeymoon since the resort accommodation is all in villas, very private but in a resort setting. It is just beautiful and the location is spectacular. Also has a great resturant. Very romantic !
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:04 AM

Hi Ella
We stayed at Sandals in Antigua and loved it. You can be as active or private as you want. There are lots of daytime activities from silly games to get you to mingle, to waterskiing and scuba all included in the price. There is dancing every night as well as other stuff. There are many pools. The main pool with swim up bar is where all the fun is. The other pools allow for very private quiet lounging. The beach is georgeous. The food is good..many restaurants. We stayed for 2 weeks and never got bored. Mostly we like to lounge, swim, read, drink so this place was great for us. But we participated in lots of the activities and had a blast. It is expensive, but we figured with all the drinks we would consume in a hot climate, even if just a coke, it was worth it for us to go AI. I also liked the fact that there was no extra charge for waterskiing, scuba, or snorkeling trips.You can go as often as you want. The weather was great, no prob with rain.
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:13 AM

Also Ella, the sailboats, kyacks, and water bikes are also available included in the price as well. It was our first time to the Carrib too, so we looked into a lot of places as you are doing. We liked it so much we returned for 10 days at Christmas. The weather was perfect then too.I had to force my husband not to book there this past April...try something new. So what did he choose? Sandals St Lucia! It was also great and we were able to travel to 3 of their properties. After 5 Sandals weeks, they give you a free week. They also have hurricaine insurance.. not sure about it.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:42 AM

Grenada - perfect classic Caribbean with safety and great restaurants and a wide range of places to stay...

check out www.grenadaexplorer.com or go to their talk forum to ask questions at
www.grenada
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:42 AM

Grenada - perfect classic Caribbean with safety and great restaurants and a wide range of places to stay...

check out www.grenadaexplorer.com or go to their talk forum to ask questions at
www.grenadatravelforum.com...

The best detailes information you can get re: Grenada!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:15 PM

Hi, I'am a 22 yrs-old student boy from Peru. I live in Miraflores which is on the coast of Peru, and i love surf with some friends in my free-times..I know alots of places to here. Machu Picchu, Camino Inca, Choquequirao, Puno, Líneas Nazca - Paracas, Manu,Arequipa, Lima, Huaraz-Callejón de Huaylas, Puerto Maldonado - Tambopata Candamo, Ayacucho, Tarapoto, Chachapoyas, Kuelap, Iquitos, Trujillo, Cotahuasi, Cotahuasi and some nice beaches as San Bartolo, El Silencio, Totoritas, and i can tell you the food is great we have great beaches north of lima, like mancora, chicama,pacasmayo with great waves chicama has for me the longest wave in the world, 43 kilometers south of lima you can find pico alto with waves from 8 to 10 meters.
If you are interested contact me 51 1 97486790 , my name is Eliott C A