Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help with tours/excursions form a Runaway Bay resort

Nov 4th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi there. I could use some help with an upcoming trip I'm taking with my spouse April 2019 to Luxury Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica.

i am scouring the internet trying to get some information to help me make some sound decisions about which excursions/activities and maybe Tours to take while there.

I realize everyone's tastes are different wrt what is enjoyable while on a vacation; but I specifically am looking to Horseback ride in the ocean if possible and maybe check out the Blue Hole and Secret Falls. and others
(I will not do Dunn's river falls. It may be an institution while in Jamaica but I'm looking for less crowded and nonetheless beautiful; just less constantly busy is my hope?)

Is The Blue Hole a tourist trap? It does look quite beautiful. Was it worth your time/money spent for what you did there? Is it better to combine it with something else on an excursion day?

*******I wonder namely who I should choose either for my tour guide/driver for the day (and see if I can combine activities???) or if it would be a better idea to go with a mid sized tour to my excursions?

I am of course, looking for the best possible way to find the best price for excellent friendly trustworthy service (seems like a no brainer to want those basic tings but I am overwhelmed by various posts explaining how great a time travelers had at their excursions; but there is no real mention of price. I do have to be concerned with that aspect (darn Canadian exchange. lol) It will just be the 2 of us and we have mostly been on group tours while cruising in the past; so a private driver is new to us.(if that is what you suggest I do).

So: is there any way a reader out there could pass on any resources to assist me in finding a wonderful driver or company for either a private experience or with a group I would greatly appreciate it.
My travel agent says to wait to speak to the travel rep at the resort..I see that; however I want to have done my homework about what prices to expect and hopefully some people to contact if I have options from them or just plain want to do it on my own.

What activities would you suggest that aren't exorbitant from Runaway Bay area? I realize we aren't in the epicenter of the mainstays of things to do and travel costs will be more prohibitive from here than in some other Jamaican destinations.

I could use help with: Your thoughts, suggestions, ideas on : Horseback riding: trail and in the Ocean , Mystic Mountain (I know probably not worth my money if I am geared for just the bobsled/rollercoaster ride there darn it.. (am going thru a mid life crisis give me a break) .lol but thoughts anyway please), the Blue Hole and Secret Falls (to rope awing into the water and maybe jump off a lower cliff? and soak in the environment), maybe Martha Brae raft ride?? Is this a worthwhile experience? ( I am caught between wanting to tube down some rapids vs chill as the guide does the work).
We could maybe look into a trip to Rick's cafe and watch the cliff diving (the real pros and those with no/little fear) over a tropical drink or three. It's a long way to go from the resort I take it and appears super busy; but that's the way it's supposed to be- a bit of a party right? Touristy yes. Different from Toronto yes... Worthwhile??? Dunno.

****If you could please include the name of who you went with and (gulp) cost for any similar excursions that would be amazing help.

If there is a can't miss activity that you did on that north-shore I'd love to hear about it too.

A big thanks in advance

Cameron
Nov 11th, 2018, 01:50 PM

Take a day trip to Negril.