Excursion choices in Montego Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be at the Rose Hall resort May 7-10, and want plenty of time to relax at the hotel, but I do want to fit in 1-2 excursions to get a little adventure.

If you have done these trips, which would you recommend the most? Canopy tour, ATV tour up the mountain, or Dunns River Falls? My husband & I like a little adventure and all of these sound appealing. EVERYONE says Dunns River is a don't-miss place, but people say it's also a tourist trap. Is it worth a half-day trip in a relatively short stay?

The canopy tour sounds like such a unique experience, but if they really tame it down for safety, is that worth a half-day trip?

The ATV trip is right next to my hotel, so that will probably be a good choice since it's quick to do.

Anyone know prices for 2 adults for these?

Thanks! Alyssa
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I've done all three.
The ATV tour is close to the Wyndham, can get messy if it rains...but is fun...especially when it rains!

The canopy tour is pretty tame but fun as well.
I'd go for Dunns River just because you get to see a different part of Jamaica.
It is a good 2 hour drive away from Mobay though, so instead of a half a day trip, yo might be looking at a whole day trip realistically. But in the process you can get some pretty good duty free shopping done in Ocho Rios and can stop at Island Village for some good souvenirs.

Here is Chukka's website (canopy and ATV). Check it out.
http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/

I'm sure Tivertonhouse might have some other great excursion ideas! He always does!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Mayfields Falls is gentler, simpler, more country than Dunns River -- and no cruise ship conga lines or crowds.
Horseback riding at Orange Grove or
Good Hope might be more rewarding than
canopy tours/ATVs/dolphin swims --
which are commercialized. Also recommended: Windsor Caves/Windsor
research station in Cockpit country
(see www.cockpitcountry.com). Maybe
go out for dinner at Houseboat Grille,
The Native or Tapas. Rocklands Bird Sanctuary where one can handfeed hummingbirds from 3pm on is rustic
and pleasantly-surprising.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Told you Tiverton would have some great ideas!

I second the Mayfield Falls suggestion...unless you just REALLY have to go to Dunns River just to say you've been there.

I'd scratch the Good Hope horseback riding tour unless you want to just ...well...go riding on horseback.

I'd go for Houseboat over Tapas...although the food at Tapas is probably better. Houseboat just has a certain charm. If you can do both Tapas and Houseboat, go for it.

Definitely not the Native though. That restaurant used to be good...but now it has just managed to slide off the scale. Pelican's food is better I think.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Mayfield Falls looks beautiful! That looks more up our alley than Dunns. How can we arrange affordable transportation and a tour? I'm sure our resort will offer something, but will be it be overpriced? I like the idea of doing something with a small group to keep the cost down, but still getting personal attention and guides.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Pelican Bar is great--like a 50s diner with local politicos and good Jamaican
and US-style food, but probably not
Jamaican enough an experience for a visitor. Thanks,
JAGIRL, for your update on the standards
lessening at The Native. Sad to hear -- it was the only reason to get on the strip. Orange Grove more intersting a ride than Good Hope. For personal guides, who can help you not only jump the queues but 'interpret' what you
really want, check out Chef and Libby
Thompson in MoBay and Carolyn Barrett
who does MoBay and more. If you go
thru Rose Hall or your hotel, even supposedly sharing the cost, you'll probably pay more, see and do less.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Hey Tiv,

There are a couple of new restaurants opening on the strip.There's a "Jamaican Bobsled Team" cafe across from DC Beach.It always seems to be packed. I haven't eaten there as yet though...
Town House is also down on the strip now...and that's supposed to be a pretty decent eat. Pretty classic Jamaican fare.
And the Brewery, on the Strip, has a Jamaican "All YOU CAN EAT" buffet every day for lunch. A little of everything Jamaican. Plus the style of the Brewery is kind of like the Native.

But of course, for a truly Jamaican experience how about Scotchies?!

Now THAT'S a Jamaican experience right there!
And what about White Witch club house for the view?
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM

A friend of mine just took some beautiful photos at Mayfield Falls. Don't be concerned about the crowds, that was just our group, we had 28 of our friends with us...usually you hardly see anyone but your guide the whole way up the river.

http://gallery.hookahheads.com/gallery/album831
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:12 AM

try chef tours at www.cheftours.5u.com
or www.maxitoursmontegobay.com for good price, personal tours