Search

Excursions in Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursions in Jamaica

My b/f and I are going to Jamaica for the first time this wkend (last minute trip). We are staying in an all-inclusive in MoBay, but interested in doing a couple of excursions. We read that Dunn's River Falls is a must, should we go w/ a tour or do it ourselves? How much is a taxi ride from MoBay to the falls? Is it easy to find a taxi back to the hotel? If it's better to go w/ a tour company, can you please recommend us one? Also, can you please give me other suggestions on things to do? I really appreciate your help! Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:38 AM

I would contact Chef Thompson at www.cheftours.5u.com - he'll do a private tour to Dunns, or wherever, for just you guys, you can plan other stops, have lunch out, anything that interests you - he and his wife Libby can also help you with suggestions. He will wait for you at the falls (or anywhere) and bring you back - he hires by the day or half day. We've hired him a few times, he's a very knowledgeable and fun guide and driver.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM

Your hotel should be able to give you some info.

You might want to check http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/ for excursions by chukkablue.

Mayfield Falls is another option for Falls.

Here is a Mobay page with loads of info : http://www.montego-bay-jamaica.com/what_to_do.htm

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM

Houseboat Grille restaurant in cruise ship port
Rocklands Bird Sanctuary in Anchovy for feeding doctorbirds/hummingbirds by hand
If you're gung-ho, either the Canopy Tour at Chukka Cove or the whitewater rafting at Great Gorge. Many find Mayfields more of interest than Dunn's River.
The Galley of West Indian Art/MoBay (check it out online b4 you go). A full day trip down to the South Coast (Pelican Bar, Black River, YS Falls) or up to Brownstown Market and Marley gravesite on North Coast (Chef grew up in this latter area so would be a natural guide).
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. The Mo Bay website was really useful.

How much does it cost to hire a driver for a private tour?
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM

Cost depends on how long and how far, mainly. Hours and mileage

You can certainly shop around, drivers will be glad to quote you for a particular outing or give an hourly or daily rate, in most cases.