HELP - - Jalousie beach and LaDera

Mar 7th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

HELP - - Jalousie beach and LaDera

Quick question or 2...

Deciding between two places well three actually.

How is Jalousie beach in terms of seclusion, water clarity, romanticness? Can it be compared to LaLuna's beach property?

Does Jalousie still share it's beach with LaDera?

We were thinking about staying in LaDera, the only thing that is holding me back is the fact that it's not on a beach, but from what I understand the inconvenience of taking a shuttle to Jalousie Beach is well worth the trip as the view from the rooms make up for the lack of convenience of being directly on the beach. Please help!!!
Mar 7th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Found a trip report on LaDera if anyone's interested.......

http://www.geocities.com/barefootguy2003/Ladera1.html
Mar 8th, 2004, 06:52 AM

My husband & I had the same dilemma when we went to St. Lucia in November. We stayed at Ladera the first 2 days and then moved to Jalousie for 7 more days. We thought this was absolutely ideal. We weren't sure we would like the 3 walls at Ladera for the entire trip & I'm a big beach person & like to stay right on the beach. The time at Ladera was truly beautiful & relaxing. Then moving to the Hilton, we enjoyed the activities and beach right there. Hope this helps....

Regarding your questions, not sure what you mean by secluded. The beach is situated in a bay between the Pitons and there are several straw huts and 2 person chairs with awnings. I don't know that I'd classify it as romantic...there were several families and the beach is very active with water taxis, snorkelers, kayaks, etc. The water is pretty clear and there is a nice swimming area. We went to Provo in the Turks & Caicos last year & the water is much clearer in Provo. Never been to LaLuna.

Yes, Ladera's guests ride the shuttle to the beach at the Hilton. It is not really sharing, more like Ladera's guest use the Hilton's beach.

I am glad we organized our time this way....we felt we had the best of both worlds! I'd be happy to help you with other questions you have.
Mindy
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:38 AM

I agree with the previous poster who suggested splitting time between Ladera and Jalousie. I've stayed at Jalousie once and have never found another property in the Caribbean to compare with its sheer beauty. I think the two resorts would complement each other nicely. I've never stayed at Ladera but I ate dinner there, and my one meal there was superior to anything I ate at Jalousie. I also love the romance of an open-walled room. However, I tend to indulge my lazy side on Caribbean vacations and when all is said and done, I would rather stay at a property where the beach is.

The beach at Jalousie is secluded in the sense that the public doesn't really use it--they would either have to arrive by water taxi or drive through the property. It's not a large beach--maybe 1/4 mile long--but it's lovely and the stark contrast between the white imported sand beach and the dark depths of the water is really stunning. When I was there in the offseason, the water was quite clear and made for very good snorkeling right off the beach. The drop off is quite steep, so that only a few yards from shore the water is well over 20 feet deep. Also, when I was there the beach was not crowded, as many of the guests seemed to prefer lounging around the pool.

Another thought is to look into Anse Chastenet, a resort on the other side of the Pitons from Jalousie. It's both on the beach and up the mountainside, and some of the rooms have an entire wall open, so from the looks of it, it would combine the best of Ladera and Jalousie. However, I've never stayed there and cannot recommend it personally. No matter which you choose, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three St. Lucia resorts. The beauty of the Pitons is unforgettable, the lushness of the island very inviting. Have fun choosing!
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you soooo much for your thoughts on this. You've been a great help, however as hard as it is to reconsider traveling to Ladera due to the fact that we're traveling in August this year. Heat, bugs, rain, no A.C.
Yes, I know, how can I resist the romance of Ladera for anything else, I promise myself one day will definetly visit soon. But I'm not bumned out about it, we'll just plan ahead for Ladera next year during High Season, however it sort of made my decision a bit easier. Thanks again for your input. Happy Traveling!!!

Search this Thread