Search

LADERA..St. Lucia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LADERA..St. Lucia

Will be staying here in July for niece's wedding..want to spend at least one day at a nice beach..which one would you recommend? Just to lie on the beach...swim..maybe snorkel...also..what's a good snorkeling area? Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM
GJN

I stayed at Ladera for our honeymoon and do not reccomend staying there. It was a nice place to visit and neat for a night, but the bugs were BAD! We used a can of bug spray a night. Also it is a couple miles from the beach. If you want to stay on the beach, stay at the Hilton. It is right on the beach, cleaner and a short ride from Ladera. Snorkeling was nice. We also climbed a Piton (not sure about spelling on that), and that was fun. Just an FYI there is not much to do around there.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Ladera actually overlooks the Hilton, and the beach shuttle used to take Ladera guests there. (I'm not sure if they still go to the Hilton or to another beach nearby.) If not, you can certainly take a taxi for $10 or so. The Hilton's beach is the nicest in the vicinity and has good snorkeling; they also have a dive shop and will rent snorkel gear if you don't bring your own. You'll be able to use the Hilton's beach-side restaurant if you go.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

THANKS DOUG FOR good info...have you stayed at Ladera? if so..will my 77 yr old mother be comfortable there in July? Will there be alot of misquitoes? I have these concerns after reading negative threads concerning open rooms and no a.c. Should we consider putting her at another hotel? thanks
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:36 AM

I'm amused by the poster who thinks there's not much to do in the area. We were there for a week (at the Hilton, not Ladera) and didn't find find time for everything we wanted to do. Granted, most of the things to do are of an active or adventurous nature--there's not a lot of shopping or nightlife--but it all depends on what one is looking for.

I believe the shuttle from Ladera to the Jalousie is complimentary, but what they don't tell you is that only the actual sand part of the beach is free if you want to plop down with a towel. If you want to use a beach chair, it's US $10 per person per day. The snorkeling off the beach here is pretty good and it would be free if you had your own gear. I don't know how much Jalousie charges for its gear for non-guests. The water is calm here and good for swimming, and the beach has imported white sand, so it truly is an idyllic location with Pitons stretching out above you. Despite the charge for using the chairs, I would still recommend Jalousie.

I didn't stay at Laderam but I did have dinner there one night. THe view and the ambience are spectacular. The night we were there we had no trouble with bugs as it was quite breezy. Clearly others have had different experiences, however. As for your mother's comfort, why not let her decide? Ask her if she would prefer a/c in her bedroom or not. Both Jalousie and Ladera have beautiful grounds, but I would think the sprawl of Jalousie and its commensurate walking and staircases, might be more of a challenge for somebody your mother's age. Then again, Jalousie offers lots of public areas for reading, lounging, conversation, etc. that your mother might enjoy.

Either way you choose, I hope you have a great time on St. Lucia--it's a beautiful place.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Just a quick clear up here, Ladera DOES provide "COMPLIMENTARY CHAIRS" at the Jalousie Hilton, you will be provided beach towels and snorkel equipment from Ladera! Ladera also provides complimentary shuttles to the town of Soufriere, and to the beach at Anse Chastenet, check that this one hasn't recently changed, Ladera can provide you with chairs to take to Anse Chastenet with you, but, not sure about that one. I am also pretty sure but I think the marine reserve fee (government fee to snorkel or dive in the marine reserves), at the Jalousie was also included in your rate from Ladera.

The shade huts, though are for Jalousie Hilton Guests, only. There is a nice little grove of palm trees, and almond trees to set your chairs by the beach.

Only outside guests staying at other resorts, would have to pay a fee for the chair use. Like Stonefield Estates, guests, would pay this fee, information for them is on the Stonefield site.

Donna
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM

THanks for the information, Donna. I got my info straight from the Jalousie folks when I called them last year when I was thinking of returning there for a trip with our granddaughter. I didn't specify Ladera guests, but I did ask what the cost for guests staying at other hotels in the area would be for using lounge chairs on the beach. I didn't know that Ladera provided chairs and snorkel gear. Good to know for future reference!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 04:12 PM

No problem ejcrowe, just a nice perk of Ladera's that the lounge chairs at the Jalousie are included.
I read somewhere that at Anse Chastenet, outside guests can rent a shade hut, lounge chairs and get lunch for the afternoon for around $40 per person. Kind of pricey, but a nice option for those wanting to spend the day there. We used are towels for the afternoon and that dark sand was HOT! Would have loved to have spent more time there, if we would have had lounge chairs and a shade hut. But then again, a guess we never asked if we could rent there.

Here is the info. from Stonefield Estates site:
"Jalousie Beach, at the Hilton, is located between the Pitons and is a beautiful white sandy beach of imported sand. In St. Lucia, all the beaches are public; for this reason umbrellas belonging to Jalousie Hilton are only for the use of their guests. Chairs can be rented for the day at US$15 per person. Jalousie has several restaurants and shops. There are also excellent water sports/diving center and tennis courts. (Unfortunately due to insurance regulations only resident guest at Jalousie can use their pool)."

"Anse Chastanet Beach at Anse Chastanet Hotel is a beautiful black/gray volcanic sandy beach. The chairs and umbrellas that belong to Anse Chastanet Hotel are for the exclusive use of their guest. There is a restaurant and bar at Anse Chastanet Hotel. For the diving enthusiasts the Scuba St.Lucia Dive Shop offers a wide choice of diving activities. Snorkeling equipment can be rented from the dive shop."

MASSTENN, I hope you will have a chance to check out both beaches @ Jalousie and Anse Chastenet, both are very different from one another. If you only have one chance, the Jalousie's is not to be missed!

Donna

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:34 AM

My husband and I have stayed on St. Lucia for two different vacations. Once at Anse chastanet, and once (in July) at a villa with three walls located on the hillside above Ladera. There were brief tropical rains in the afternoon and sometimes through the night. Because of the three walls, critters can come and go freely, and they do. We had a mosquito net above our bed. I thought "how adorable" but we definitely DID need it. Not necessarily for biting bugs, just critters who live there. And we did hunt down a fan in the villa for sleeping, but it was so incredibly lush and beautiful, we did not mind one bit having those open walls. I am surprised your family is planning Ladera as a family wedding destination. It is much more of a honeymoon spot, than a bring-your-mil spot, in my opinion.

The snorkeling at Anse Chastanet was very good. We also tried snorkeling at the public beach next door to Jalousie, called Anse Malgretoute, but it was not very good. Here is a link to a very active message board for StL:

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/sl/slforum.shtml
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM
jpw

I can't believe that someone could have something bad to say about Ladera. We stayed there in June 2002, I never once saw a bug. It is relaxing and view is unmatched. The beach at Hilton Jalouise is spectacular, shuttle is free, they provide chairs, snorkle gear. But staying at the Hilton you would miss the view and ambiance. I highly recommended this place!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all who responded..great info!