Help Compare Marriott Hotels in Caribbean

Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Aries

Help Compare Marriott Hotels in Caribbean

I am looking for some feedback about Marriott resorts in the Caribbean (we will be using Marriott points for the stay.) I am looking for a resort with beautiful grounds and pool area, swim up pool bar preferable, great beach, great service, drinks served by pool, and not too many kids.(We are a couple in our late 20's).

To give you an idea of what we're looking for, we have stayed at Maui and Kauai Marriotts - we thought the Kauai Marriott was wonderful; Maui Marriott was nice, but nothing special. Also stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman and were very unimpressed. The beach was too small and the pool area was small, old, not clean, and there were too many kids.

Any feedback on the Marriott hotels in the Caribbean would be greatly appreciated:

St. Thomas: Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar (also, what is the difference?) and Renaissance Grand Beach Hotel

Curacao

Aruba

Cancun (sorry if this is not considered "caribbean island")

Cayman Islands (are we the only ones who didn't like this hotel?)

Nassau, Bahamas

THANKS in advance for your help.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:45 PM
ejc

The Marriot in Aruba is FANTASTIC. The beach is so so, not to mention a little windy. But the resort will make-up for it. The timeshares are quite unbelievable. We almost bought a week, but it was a litle too rich for my blood.
The grounds are well kept and the lagoon pool is breathtaking.
ps.-- the resort and timeshares are adjacent to one another.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:05 PM
Sandy

Aries,
The Marriott in Grand Cayman is awful!! I love GC, but would never stay there. The small beach they use to have, is now non-exsistent!! Hurricane Michelle took out what little beach they had. I don't know about other Marriott Hotels, but don't waste your money on that one.
Sandy

Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:11 PM
xxx

Have a friend who is a Mariott timeshare person. She traded from her one in Hawaii and was very disappointed with the one on Aruba. She said there was no comparison to other properties and was very dissatisfied.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:14 PM
Gail

DON'T stay at the Marriott in Nassau. They really don't have much of a beach. Just a small man made lagoon.
I have friends you loved the Marriott in Aruba.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 04:02 PM
Antoinette

I just purchased a timeshare at the Marriott Aruba. We pruchased a two bedroom tow bath unit that is absolutely beautiful! If, according to the previous poster is lacking in comparison to the Marriott in Hawaii, I can't wait to trade a week. Personally, Marriott Aruba ia wonderful. Clean, modern, friendly staff- you can't go wrong.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:53 AM
robert

Difference between Fishermans Reef & Morningstar Beach - same resort, Morningstar are the resorts bungalow's right on the beach. Fisherman's Reef is the resort's highrise. Both excellent accomodations and views..pay more if you want to be right on the beach and track sand in. I was not impressed with the Marriot in Aruba either, plus its isolated. I like St.Thomas.....romantic ..

Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
anon

Morningstar accomodations are directly on the beach and the rooms are much larger and luxurious than the Frenchman's Reef accomodations. Some are garden and some are ocean view.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 04:27 PM
Trish

We love the Marriott in Curacao. Because the bottom of the sea is full of coral, it's hard to walk without shoes and there is a strong tradewind on the beach, however, the gardens around the pool area are beautiful,and the pool is great - good sized and clean! They have a swim-up bar as well as flags to raise on the back of your chaise lounge when you want service. There are only a few kids and they're pretty calm.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:25 PM
Aries

Thanks for all your information! We're still interested in hearing more reviews, so I hope you'll keep posting. By the way, in reference to the Curacao Marriott above, what type of activities are there on the island? What is the nightlife like? Restaurants? Culture? Etc.?

Thanks again in advance!!!

Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:26 PM
Gail

You might also keep in mind that Marriott points can be used at all Ritz Carlton properties. Alas, not usually a swim up bar... Leaving 20th for Ritz Jamaica. Have stayed at Ritz & Marriott in STT, both okay, liked Marriott there better.

Aug 5th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Laura

What about the new one on St. Kitts...anyone have any info on this? Also, between the Marriott Resort and the Marriott Ocean Club - what do you think??????????????????????????? Which one??

Aug 5th, 2002, 12:54 PM
xxx

The best Marriott Hotels are the JW Marriotts. If you see the JW in front of the name, you can't go wrong.