Has anyone flown Liat?

Dec 21st, 2004, 05:24 AM
caribtraveler

Has anyone flown Liat?

Thinking of flying this airline from St. Maarten to Nevis and/or St. Kitts.
Reliable? On time?
Other small airline suggestions?
Thank you.

Dec 21st, 2004, 05:31 AM

Well, "Caribbean airline" and "on time" should most likely never be in the same sentence, but I have flow LIAT (Leave Island Any Time) on quite a few occasions and never had any problems.

Caribbean Star and American Eagle also provide flights in the region.

I personally like BWIA. (Bee Wee.)
Dec 21st, 2004, 05:44 AM

old stereotypes are hard to break...sheesh
Dec 21st, 2004, 05:51 AM
caribtraveler

Diana: LOL. Thanks.

Dec 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM
Sunnyboy

As Diana says, with the small Caribbean airlines - you pays your money - you takes your chances! They all have their good days and bads days. There's really no telling which one will show up on the day you are traveling so Liat your chances are about the same as anyother of the small airlines. From SXM to NEV or SKB I think you have your choice of Winair, Liat and maybe Caribbean Sun (or it's sister airline Caribbean Star). American Eagle does not go from SXM to SKB or NEV without going back through San Juan. BWIA does not service NEV ans I'm pretty sure it does not fly into SKB.

Dec 21st, 2004, 09:22 AM

I'd personally fly WinAir before I'd fly Liat. Both have their problems, but I understand Liat is worse than WinAir.
Dec 21st, 2004, 11:07 AM

I just flew Caribbean Star from SXM-ST. Kitts-Antigua. I chose them over Liat,
even though they made a very short stop
in St. Kitts, and Liat was non-stop.
Flight was fine. On time too!
I chose them as they are an American based company-not having the history of financial problems like Liat. The flight for you would be none stop.
Dec 21st, 2004, 12:17 PM
Carib_Ian

I have flown both on LIAT and Caribbean Star and had good experiences with them both.

Dec 21st, 2004, 03:52 PM

Fond memories of Liat! (luggage in another town). My bag turned up the next day but others weren't as lucky.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:58 AM
caribtraveler

Thank you all for your responses.

Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:53 AM

We flew LIAT for a short hop, departing from Beef Island at 3?20 PM, landing in Nevis at Newcastle at 3:20 PM. Same on the return trip. There were scenic views around the BVI islands, and the flight attendents were friendly and helpful. Only trouble was, people didn't sit where their posted ticket said they should sit. Some mild bickering due to that. There was also the usual delay coming back, on the hop from Beef Island to San Juan, but that was with an American Airline American Eagle flight, not LIAT. Highly recommend renting a jeep on Nevis to island tour. Noel's car rental is right at the airport; we rented one from her before we left the states. Her telepone: 869-469-5199. You can purchase a "St. Christopher And Nevis Temporary Drivers License" through Noel's as well. Robert
Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:56 AM

Correction: We departed Beef Island at 2:35 PM, landed at Newcastle (Nevis) at 3:20 PM. Robert
Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:22 AM

Uuuh Penny, Caribbean Star is not an American based airline. Its owner Alan Stanford is American but that it is. It is based in Antigua/St Kitts. They do not even have landing rights for Puerto Rico. Their sister airline Caribbean Sun flies into PR but it too is based in St Kitts.
To the original poster, to me LIAT, Caribbean Star, its all the same especially for your short hop from St Marteen to Nevis/St Kitts. But given a choice, I would go with LIAT simply because I have actually had fewer bad experiences with LIAT than with Caribbean Star. CS is constantly overbooking, always late, loses your luggage...I now absolutely refuse to use CS, even if it is the last plane in the air.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:34 AM

Somantics my dear, I errored! I do not like your uhh! I meant owned! They were fine for me. Liat I understand has improved--but I am more concerned about equipment etc. Good to hear about Liat-there base is also ANU?
Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:37 AM

I know errored is not a word, and the proper use of their!