Caribbean honeymoon

Dec 16th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Caribbean honeymoon

We are getting married on January 15th and would like to plan a short (5-day) honeymoon afterward in the Caribbean. We are looking for suggestions for places that are relatively secluded, not too "Americanized" (i.e., no McDonalds or Wal-Marts), nice beaches, has some history (interesting sight-seeing) and nature areas in which to hike/explore. We want someplace that we could relax by the beach all day and not feel guilty that we aren't seeing all the sights, but also want someplace where we do have the option to see something intesting and can wander without being besieged by shops, etc. Any suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:33 PM

oconnor,
Try Nevis, though beaches aren't sugar white but definitely not Americanized and hiking possibilities. Or for nice sandy beaches however busy but not really 'Americanized' try Barbados, though not really hiking opportunities unless you golf! but good history, shopping and other diversions. St. Lucia might be another thought, similar to Nevis, again mostly dark sand beaches. Congrats and have great trip.
Dec 16th, 2004, 06:25 PM

5 days is not a lot of time. It also depends on where you are flying from on access to some of the less traveled to destinations. If you are coming from a NY type area, you can probably get direct flights. This would be important as you could lose two days traveling. I am from central VA where we change planes to go anywhere unless it is a hub.
I agree with Traveler863, my first thought was St.Lucia. I agree with Nevis also. But check out how often there are flights from your town. They may be harder to get to than the more popular places.
Dec 17th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! I will look into both St. Lucia and Nevis. We are coming from Chicago and don't want to spend the few days we have in a plane. The other option we were considering was either Puerto Rico or Vieques. Any thoughts there?
Dec 18th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Do your self a big favor and scratch St. Lucia off your list. The beaches are lousy and water can be murky. Look into Turks & Caicos, Provo, to be exact, You will thank me. It's just what you are looking for almost nothing to do but relax. Miles of whaite sand beaches and water like you've never seen before. Congrats on you upcoming marrage!!!
Dec 18th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Will it be warm enough for TC in January?
Another thought is St. John. It has great beaches. It is not too over-populated and you can probably fly into st. thomas non stop and take a ferry to st.john.
Dec 18th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Girlonthego you must be in Richmond area, I'm in Fairfax...hi neighbor. You are absolutely right on flights, must go with nonstop or some great connections for only 5 days.
Oconnor, from ORD you'll be able to get a nonstop on AA to SJU then go from there. I am not sure about other airlines, UA might have a nonstop into STT in which case girlonthego suggestions for St. John is an excellent alternative.
For the difference between St. Lucia and Turks and Caicos there is without a doubt far better island beauty on St. Lucia, more of a 'local' feel and overall generally better 'island' experience. Although beaches are not sandy white, its a volcanic island and they tend to be dark and water will not be as crystal clear because of the runoff. Turks and Caicos I have also been and don't want to say it is worse, certainly not...in fact it has some great differences but it depends on what you are looking for in an island. Providienciales, Turks and Caicos has one huge stretch of the most beautiful sandy beaches I (Grace Bay) I've experienced and I've been to Pouth pacific, Indian Ocean and most of the Caribbean. On Provo, Grace Bay there some specactular snorkeling right from shore at Coral Gardens and a neat 1/2 day or day trip possibility to the West Side, Tiki Huts for the more adventurous but other than that its pretty much just clear and SPECTACTULAR water and a chance to meet up with Jo-jo the wild friendly dolphin which we did have the opportunity to meet while there once.
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:47 AM

I would not be cray about going to St. Lucia if you only have five days. It's a long flight. We are in the same situation in that we come out of Mpls and that was a long trip!
Dec 19th, 2004, 03:40 PM

I have to agree with knowing. As much as we love St Lucia, it is a long day to get there. IMHO, 5 days is not enough to go there. You will almost lose 2 days with travel. From Detroit area it is a 10 plus hour day with pre departure airport time, connections, and travel time to your hotel. One of the 2 airports is a hour drive to most hotels. If you ever have more time though, highly recommend St Lucia.
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We may end up doing something closer (Mexico, PR) and save the St. John, etc., for a longer trip!
Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:47 PM

Again, you'll be able to get nonstop service ORD - SJU what you probably really need to look at is reasonable connections from there. Many are short puddle hops on American Eagle, though some can make you wait up to 6 hours...no thank you for a long weekend. Other connections can be jet service and seems to be much better timed for 11am-noonish arrivals from CONUS. Do look at all possibilities, I guess my point is...you might think something (distancewise) isn't possible where you might find schedulewise (airline) very doable. Check it all out and most of all have a great trip.
P.S. I do agree on St. Lucia one needs more than 5 days...I generally do 10 days there. '
Happy travels all.