Search

harbor island

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:38 PM
THE FONZE

harbor island

Doing a trip to Pink Sands next month.Any helpful hints,what not to miss,what to avoid,resteraunts,night spots,etc.Is Pink Sands all its reved up to be.Mucho-Apreciamundo.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Paul

Pinks Sands is worth all the hype..IMHO.<BR>What not to miss..........<BR>Lunch at the Blue Bar<BR>Lunch at Angela's<BR>Drinks at the Harbor Lounge<BR>Golf Cart trips around the Isle one day.<BR>Mass at the Catholic Church was a hoot!<BR>A "Pinky" drink at Pink Sands.<BR>Long walks on the beautiful beach.<BR><BR>You'll love it!!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Island Girl

Hi was there last year at exactly the same time you are going to be. It's great but here are some things to keep in mind:<BR><BR>A lot of places are closed or open for limited hours at this time of year. So there's not a lot of nightlife. <BR><BR>A nice spot to hang out is the Valentine Yacht Club. ALso, check out the Romora Club.<BR><BR>It really is paradise!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:14 AM
tweedy

Paul is right Harbour Island is a beautiful place and Pink Sands is the nicest resort on island. All of the accomodations are villas spread out so you get alot of privacy. The gounds are spectacular and the views of the ocean are breathtaking. The sand on the island is pink and the water is aqua/emerald/deep blue.<BR><BR>Not to be missed, well...take a walk downtown which is not far and have lunch at the Deli or Miss Mae's. The bakery has wonderful sweets and homemade bread and you can even check your email.<BR><BR>Have a cheeseburger at Ma Ruby's, join the rest of the island at sunset for a drink at Harbour Lounge or The Landing.<BR><BR>We think the food is best at Runaway Hill and Romora Bay so venture out one evening. I think Pink Sands has an eat around plan so you can sample food at some of the other resorts.<BR><BR>If you are flying, N. Eleuthera airport is closed right now, so you will be landing at Govenours Harbour and will be taxied up to the dock for a water taxi over to the island. If you are taking the Fast Ferry, the trip is about 2 hours and beautiful.<BR><BR>When you get to the dock ask for Reggie, (cab driver) and ask him for a bit of a tour of the island as he takes you up to Pink Sands. Reg knows everything there is to know about the island. Please tell him I said HI!!<BR><BR>For a day's snorkle trip you can go to Valentine's or Ocean Fox, there are some great dive and snorkle sites just off shore.<BR><BR>You can also arrange for a quiet picnic on a deserted island.<BR><BR>July will be hot, so bring LOTS of sun screen and use it often.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip, Harbour Island is a real jewel in the carribean.<BR><BR>tweedy<BR><BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:35 AM
cdt

Where to stay on Harbour Island if you can't afford Pink Sands?<BR><BR>Just received a brochure from USAir with great fares until Nov. 15. Surprisingly, the out islands cost the same as Nassau.<BR><BR>Any budget (or semi-budget) accommodations on Harbour Island that are on the beach, or a short walk to it?<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:36 AM
jb

I will be there July 8-15 so I can fill you in with the latest when I return if you haven't left yet. I've been checking on the airport periodically and they can't really say when it will be completed. Has anyone taken the Continental Connection flight from FL? <BR>Any problems?<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:00 PM
tweedy

What kind of budget are you looking for on island. There are rooms available for under $100 a night off season, but they are generally not ON the beach but a short walk.<BR><BR>YOu might try Bahama House or The Landing which are very nice, on the Bay side of the island and a short walk to the beach. Another option is the Palms which is a sort of motel, but inexpensive.<BR><BR>Try Valentine's also on the Harbour side, with a nice pool area.<BR><BR>JB:<BR><BR>I heard recently that half of the runway is just about done, and the other half will be worked on shortly, but figure it will take longer than expected, everything in the Bahamas takes longer than expected, lol, you get used to that.<BR><BR>The taxi drivers are very used to working with the airlines, so don't worry, when you get to the airport in Govenours Harbour ask for my buddy Wendell and tell him you are going to Harbour Island (also tell him HI from me). He can also give you a little tour as you head up island and go over Glass Window bridge, he would even stop for pictures if asked.<BR><BR>The airlines have an ongoing agreement with the cab drivers as regularly planes stop at GH instead of N. El, because of weather or planes or whatever.<BR><BR>So go and have a GREAT time. Tell everyone I said HI!!!!!<BR><BR>Take care. <BR><BR>tweedy

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Stephanie

Tweedy, I've been told by a lady at Coral Sands that the airport at N. Eleuthera will definitely be finished by the end of July. Do you know differently? We're supposed to be taking TwinAir out of Fort Lauderdale, and they have not mentioned not being able to fly into N. El.<BR><BR>Looking so forward to visiting HI!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 02:04 PM
THE FONZE

Now that I know what places to go,is there anything I should avoid.What about insects,should I load up on bug repellant.Is it safe to walk around at night(not that Fonzie's worried)I just wanta be ready just in case.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:11 PM
tweedy

The bugs can be bothersome, but every hotel, resort on island will have some bug spray. We use Skin-so-soft and it works really well.<BR><BR>There is no crime on Harbour Island, so you can walk anywhere at anytime of day or night. The island is "tiny" only half a mile wide by 3 miles long and it's the kind of place where everyone knows everyone else.<BR><BR>There are only 2,000 year round inhabitans so it is a very tight knit<BR>community.<BR><BR>Come visit the www.briland.com board anytime to ask other questions that you might have.<BR><BR>JB,<BR><BR>Hope to run into you on island. The Kalik is on me, lol.<BR><BR>tweedy