Grand Cayman/ Reef Resort/ North 7 MB?

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman/ Reef Resort/ North 7 MB?

I have read many great posts already-- We are venturing out of our ST John comfort zone and planning Cayman trip 10/13/08.SNORKELING is most important--but--hubby likes to play tennis. I love a place where we can hop right into the beach & snorkle. Reef Resort sounds good. Is it too far away? I already plan to get to Eden Rock; Cemetery; Governors Reef? AND the place near Rum Point definitely caught my attention. But Rum Point has no Tennis and is it also an out of the way area?I have starwood points but don't want to be in the thick of the hotels....What's a happy medium? Is it possible to use the Tennis courts at the hotels for a fee? He is interested in the grass courts at the Ritz.. Any suggestions????
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM

The choice of where to stay depends on what you are looking for. The Reef Resort has excellent snorkeling right out in front and has tennis, pools, hot tubs, retaurant, beach bar, dive shop, etc., but it is on the quiet side of the island and a drive from Georgetown and 7MB. We used to stay on 7MB but have since switched to the Reef Resort because we like the remote feeling because it's has more of an "island" feel to it for us. We rent a car and drive to the snorkel spots you listed - which are our favorites. From what I remember of St. John, this is what we did there too, drove to our favorite snorkel spots. However, many people want to stay on 7MB because it is close to more restaurants and the beach is pristine. However, the "nicest" sand beaches as you know don't have the best snorkeling. The Ritz is very, very nice - but of course it has that big resort/hotel feel to it and most rooms aren't ocean front. All of the condo's/suites at the Reef Resort are ocean front with great views. It all depends on what you are looking for as the resorts, hotels and condo's are very different.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your imput. I am leaning toward Reef Resort--will have to find out more about the tennis scene there and elsewhere. How would this compare to the Sealodge place near Rum Point? That looks really nice...We would probably get a car---part of the time to get around.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:08 AM

You really can't compare the Reef to any of the Sealodges at Cayman Kai. The Reef is a full service resort and each Sealodge is individually owned with no additional amenities included. There is no pool and no on-site restaurants or shops.
I have stayed in one of the Sealodges (while our condo was being rebuilt after Ivan) and loved the tranquility and proximity to our regular haunts. The snorkeling is great, especially if you swim down to Rum Point and walk the beach back.
But if you have a car, you can do that anyway and still enjoy the range of amenities offered at the Reef.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes, still leaning toward The Reef. I thought there might be a few more amenities on the North shore. But it sounds like a trip by car to visit,and definitely experience that stretch of reef in the water.The only reason I considered No. 7MB : maybe more options for hubby to play tennis--and there are some good snorkeling options around there--where I would hang out.If he is set up for tennis ---then I can explore the water for hours--If the Reef Resort can offer this, it could be perfect.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM

I would guess that the Ritz will have the nicest tennis courts (or at least some of the nices courts).
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Hubby may see if he can 'Play"at the Ritz. Not interested in a mega -resort, and I agree w/ luvtotravel--expansive white sand beaches are pretty--I am more interested in underwater & a reef.So, just a matter of deciding. I want to stay at the Reef,...MAYBE split--2 nights at No. 7MB, easy access to Cemetary; Eden Rock; Governors Reef? Is it best to plan a trip to Rum Point from the EAst End? or From 7MB? I guess I'm not sure if the highway circles the island??
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM

It is an easy drive from East End to Rum Point, about 13 miles.
Here is a mileage chart published by the gov.:
http://www.caymanlandinfo.ky/pdf/MileageCharts.pdf

The Cayman land site also has a street atlas that is helpful.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Sounds like the Reef is more what your looking for, but it is far out from 7MB.

Your idea to also split up time might be a good idea too.

Just a note, my family just left after a week visit and we went to Rum Point three times in four days. The drive from 7MB (Treasure Island) to Rum Point is about 45-50 minutes drive and that is with cutting across the Island on Frank Sound Drive. The new bypass through South Sound is also wonderfully confusing - and this from someone who's been on the Island for two months already!!!

Have a great trip!!!