Grand Cayman recommendations?

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman recommendations?

Hi everyone!

My husband and I booked a 6 night trip to Grand Cayman over April vacation (I'm a teacher). Just hoping to get some restaurant and hotel recommendations from the GC experts. I will be about 5 months pregnant in April, so we really just want to snorkel, go to Stingray City, eat out, and swim! I was looking into the Westin or the Ritz, but I wouldn't be against a nice condo, either. We are big seafood lovers, if that helps with restaurant recs. Thanks so much in advance!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM

As far as condos, go to www.caymanvacations.com for a listing and location. The beach by central 7mb is the widest without a rocky entry into the ocean. If you stay at the Westin or Ritz, it's an easy enough walk to good snorkeling.

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM

Calypso grille has never dissappointed. you'll need a car or can taxi there. The sea food at the reef grille on 7MB is decent too.I have stayed at the westin and thought it was decent if you want a hotel. The ritz is impressive from the beach and the service awesome, but most rooms across the road from the beach accessible by skyway.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM

I send Calypso Grill. Also, if you like Indian there's a great restaurant called Gateway of India across from the Strand shopping center and behind Copper Falls Steakhouse (which is very good too).

Peace, Greenie
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:45 AM

Oops...meant second. Brain not working to well this AM.

Peace, Greenie
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for these helpful responses
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:23 AM

I love Grand Cayman. Congrats on the pregnancy. I went to St. Thomas 8 months pregnant and I was all about the food. LOL.

Here's a blurb from my long review on tripadvisor about food [we stayed at the Ritz]...
Food at the Ritz. The breakfast buffet is incredible [at Seven Restaurant]. Don’t miss the caramelized plantains, heavenly. We enjoyed this every morning. The bar food was delicious and the serving trays were a nice touch [bamboo boxes]. Blue and Periwinkle are both by the pool on the lagoon side. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Blue. We had multiple people waiting on us and they knew us by name. I had the best swordfish. This was our most expensive meal [$250 US for 2]. We ate inside and the décor and atmosphere was lovely, but it is sadly not oceanside!

We did not make it to Periwinkle [staff told us dinner was family oriented with a big screen for the kids, etc.]. Others with us went for lunch and had a fantastic time. It’s not crowded at lunch [since it’s also not ocean side].

Seven is poolside on the ocean side. Many people went there for dinner and lunches and loved it. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts there.

We tried to order breakfast room service one morning but it never showed up so we called and canceled. They were apologetic but nothing ever came of it beyond that.

Food Elsewhere.

Calypso Grill in Westbay. Incredible. Service was slow but good if that makes sense. It was really crowded and our waitress had many tables so it was slow, but she was sweet and efficient. The atmosphere is fun and romantic with the breezes blowing through. I made my reservation well in advance but we did not get outside dining [they do that first come] but we were in a corner with all the doors open so the effect was lovely. Crab cakes were outstanding here and the toffee pudding dessert that everyone recommended was fantastic. It’s a spongy cake that soaks up the toffee and cream on the plate. Mmmm.
We paid $20 for each direction cab [ouch].

The Lobster Pot. We had reservations at Papagallo but this was the night of the bank robbery so they were searching cars heading into and out of West Bay. We switched to the Lobster Pot with many others from our group. It wasn’t outside but they had great big windows that opened out so you felt like it was outside and it was right on the water. This meal was also very good.

The Reef Grill at Royal Palms. We had a long table for 20 which I regret now because it took us 3 hours to have our meal. The servers were great, but we should have been divided by them or split at 2-3 tables instead [they walked around to all 20 people instead of having a waitress take half and another take the other half, etc.]. By the time we ended our meal, most were too tired to enjoy the music. The meal was good overall, my sea bass was delicious. But, some people did not like their meals. Crème Brulee was fantastic. I was looking forward to this night as it was our last. We did walk home on the beach which was nice; it took 20-25 minutes.

Other people went to Grand Old House and loved it. The group went to Deckers and loved it. It’s been renovated and the food was excellent. Also people I talked to said the Wharf was their favorite meal. Go figure. We were going to do the Lighthouse on night, but it was just too far.

Over the Edge Restaurant…we went here for lunch the day we hit Rum Point. It was fun [we laughed because it was the anti-Ritz in attitude…you need to order because the cook wants to go home, etc.] and the food was good, the view fantastic.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Cassanovas
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

These are all great, and will be so helpful, thanks!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM

The Ritz-Carlton in Grand Cayman is currently running a promo for 5 nights. I bet they'll run one in April as well as that will also be low season. It's a beautiful World-class resort on Seven Mile Beach.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:16 AM

During April vacation, the beach at the Ritz could be a bit crowded. Also, unless you get the expensive rooms, you'll be across the street (they have an indoor walkway).

Personally, I feel a condo is a great choice. You have a lot more room, a kitchen, possible a washer and dryer, etc. There is nothing better than sitting out on the balcony in the morning, drinking your coffee (decaf in your case) and just looking at the beach. It's such a great way to start the day.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Calypso Cove, Sunset House (My Bar bar & Seaharvest restaraunt), lunches at Grand Old House, The Lighthouse worth a drive, Champion House Restaraunt's stewed conch SOOOO great..even "to go", breakfasts at Cimboco, Italian + seafoods @ Cassanovas, Neptunes really good ...really great places around...also try meat paddies @ gas stations (local's breakfasts), and several jerk pork, chicken places!
If staying along SEven mIle Beach, so lovley to walk early morning, sunset...
If not going until April, may consider getting SCUBA certified before then, or yes, enjoy GREAT snorkling ans beach swims, Stingray city/Sandbar!
Have FUN!!!!