Ritz Grand Cayman or FS/Exuma

May 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Ritz Grand Cayman or FS/Exuma

Currently i have two tickets holding for Grand Cayman/Ritz and Exuma/FS,leaving in August. We want good food, beautiful beach and relaxing ambience. Which island/resort do you think we should choose? Thank you.
May 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM

definitely cayman!!
May 22nd, 2006, 02:22 PM

Haven't been to GC, but just got back from Exuma. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the 4S. We enjoyed our stay very much. I have read some less than stellar reviews of the food, but we thought it was good, and the beach is absolutely gorgeous.
May 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi iRabbit,

Can you tell me more about the FS restaurants?
1..Did you get the meals package or not?
2. Was the hotel beach water clear and clam?
3. Does FS has floats in the pool?
4. What did u think about the food at the resort? I like good sea food.
5. Did you arrange a FS car to pick you up from and to the airport? If so How much is the round trip.
I heard that there is not much to see or do beside staying at the FS.
Thank you very much.
May 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM

I did not stay at the Ritz GC but did go in the Bar for a few drinks.It is a rather large hotel and is very nice.It's on 7 mile beach and is very close to restaurants.

I have never been to Exuma so I cannot comment on it.

We loved Grand Cayman...it has alot to see and do.It also has some wonderful restaurants.

Christie
May 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM

Hi Clear (and Noreen- glad you enjoyed your trip!) - I was in Exuma a few months ago at the 4S. I did arrange for the car- I think it was $40 round trip. They met me right there, with a big box of chilled bottled water. Ithought the food was fine - not five star, but not bad either. The beach itself was as calm as a bathtub, with fine white sand. Not too much to do outside the resort. I don't remember floats in the pool, but I was mostly on the beach. The meal plan is probably worth it, because the breakfast buffet alone was in the $22 range. Feel free to ask any more specific questions, or I could email you pics-

Sabine
May 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Sabine,
thank you, please email me your pictures.
[email protected]
May 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM

We did not get the meal package, which might have been a mistake, in hindsight. We spent a lot of money on food and drinks.

The water was not as clear as some I've seen, there was gentle surf. But the water was stunningly beautiful in color - it seemed lit from within.

I don't know if there were pool floats. The pools were pretty, there was plenty of shade, and the quiet pool was actually quiet. But we spent all of our time on the beach, on the "quiet end."

I liked the food. The more formal restaurant, Cielo, was nice for my birthday meal. The beach bar was also fun for dinner. The more casual place did an okay seafood buffet one night, but sometimes there was a problem with flies. The breakfasts were good.
May 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM

We did arrange for the car from the 4S, and on the way back to the airport, it was a white stretch limo, which was definitely a first for me in the Caribbean, lol. I think it was $45 each way.

We were there for four nights. We did nothing but sit on the beach and read. If we were there longer, I'd have needed a change of pace, at least for dinner. There were babies *everywhere*, so if that's a problem, be forewarned. (They were all extremely well behaved, and were no problem to us, but they are prevelant!) There were two conventions going on, and the hospitality tent for one of them faced our room.
May 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Okay, posted that last one too soon. Was going to say the tent was not a problem except one party got a little noisy. Then again, I'm a real pill about noise.

The resort is beautiful and restful. Sabine, thank you so much for this recommendation, for we loved Great Exuma and plan to return. We'll probably find a smaller place to stay, as we're not generally keen on resorts, but this was a great trip.
May 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM

been to both islands, and i love Exumas! I loved it more than Caymans. Stayed at 4 Seasons, and thought it was beautiful.
May 23rd, 2006, 05:37 PM

Having been to both (3 times to Cayman's-2 times FD-Great Exuma) I must admit the FS has Ritz beat in all respects except food.
They have changed chef's 2-3 times at FS but cannot seem to get it "right".
At Ritz food is better but I recommend eating most meals elsewhere. At FS you have NO "real" dining options where in Grand Cayman you have many but for me NONE were gourmet and most were $125=$140 for 2 for a 3 course meal.
If snorkeling is on your agenda then Grand Cayman is so far superior it cannot be compared. Basically for a snorkeler who has gone to the US or British Virgin Islands you will not be happy at FS for snorkeling or diving.
Actually over he past 5 years the snorkeling in Grand Cayman has gone down hill. Most of it by hurricanes, some by the coral dying and lastly the folks who want to bring home a keep sake. These people should not be allowed in the water.
I would go to the Ritz and then 2 days (1 night) of snorkeking at Cayman Brac.