Search

Grand Cayman Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman Marriott

We're going to the Grand Cayman Marriott in June. Will we need passports? And what shape is the island in from the hurricanes last fall? I understand the Marriott doesn't have much of a beach. Also, what are "must sees" since we'll only be there for four days. Thanks for your help!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:40 PM

Much of the beach front was lost a few years ago. Don't know if the recent hurricanes took any more away ... but there wasn't that much left to give away. Sting Ray City is a MUST. Snorkeling/Diving at Eden Rock ... you're practically in the shadow of the cruise ships.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:49 PM

The Marriott section of Seven Mile Beach was badly eroded after the previous hurricane, but you can just walk down a bit to find a good stretch. What I've heard more recently is that Seven Mile Beach gained a great deal of beach back after this most recent hurricane season. I expect to get a full report soon from my updater, and if I find out something new, I'll post it here.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:56 PM

Go to www.caymanphotos.com and click on "Martin". It will lead you to some very good recent photos of Cayman and you can see what it looks like now. On page 2, he has 10 pictures of the Marriott. It looks like they have a ways to go to finish rebuilding it. If you haven't done much research on the destruction caused by Ivan, please do. It did a tremendous amount of damage and although a lot has been done, there is still a lot to do. It is a beautiful island and a wonderful vacation destination, but if you haven't seen it before, you may be disappointed at what you might see now. Please search recent posts from those who've returned post Ivan. Not trying to discourage you, just want you to be informed.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:50 AM

The Marriott did indeed get a lot of beach back.. in fact the beaches in Cayman are even more gorgeous than before

Unfortunately though they have just pushed back their opening, the official website at http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/GCMGC states that they will be closed "through June" so for a June reservation best double check.

Part of the reason for the delayed opening is that they changed owners about a year before Ivan and the new owners had already been planning some significant upgrades, so they are taking the chance to do it now.

Doug, please email me if you want updates on Grand Cayman, not only do I run a resort there, but I also have an official capacity within the tourism industry so can provide you authoritative information, which you can then post.... oh, and btw, love the Fodors blog !

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input - my husband was given this trip as a reward so we'll be going no matter what! I did read elsewhere that the Marriott is not scheduled to re-open until March 15; hopefully by June things will be in good shape.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Update . . I just checked the Marriott's web site - it now says the hotel will be closed through June 2005. Gee, I wonder what this will do to our free trip?? We're scheduled for June 23 - 26.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Is your trip provided by Marriott? There is a Courtyard on Grand Cayman, also. Perhaps they would put you there instead.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:36 AM

I strongly recommend you do not choose Marriott Grand Cayman for your June vacation. I originally had a scheduled vacation for April. I set it up in Sept before the Huricane hit. I was very worried but thought they would easily have things back to normal by April.

I constantly checked the website. In Sept, they predicted Dec. opening. In Dec. they predicted Jan opening. In Jan. they predicted March. That is when I cancelled. The way they kept postponing the reopening scared me to death. I changed our reservation to Marriott St. Thomas because, I too, am using reward points. I am sooo glad I made that decision now or we would be scrambling for a vacation.

So in a nut shell, I don't thin,k
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:40 AM

I strongly recommend you do not choose Marriott Grand Cayman for your June vacation. I originally had a scheduled vacation for April. I set it up in Sept before the Huricane hit. I was very worried but thought they would easily have things back to normal by April.

I constantly checked the website. In Sept, they predicted Dec. opening. In Dec. they predicted Jan opening. In Jan. they predicted March. That is when I cancelled. The way they kept postponing the reopening scared me to death. I changed our reservation to Marriott St. Thomas because, I too, am using reward points. I am sooo glad I made that decision now or we would be scrambling for a vacation.

So in a nut shell, I don't think hotel will open in June. Just from my experience from watching the constant delays.

Best case scenario is that is does open but there will still be a lot of construction going on that may be annoying during your visit.

my 2 cents.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input . . this is a trip paid for by my husband's company so we don't have a say in where we go. I'm sure when they go to book the trip for us, they'll know if the Marriott will be up and running. We're still looking forward to seeing Grand Cayman as we've never been there. I'll keep you posted and write a report on our return.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:54 PM

My Wife and I have just come from a walk on Seven Mile Beach and crossed in front of the Marriott Beach Resort, the beach is lovely and must be a least 70ft wide and soft sand is gently sloping to the water. I see that there is scaffolding around the building and it looks well under construction but I stopped and spoke to the bartender at their beach bar and he says it will be opened by June 1st. From what he said the 4ft floor is complete and looks very "Tommy Bahama-ish" in decor. We are staying at Regal Beach beside the hotel and I really love the location. It is so close to everything bars, nightclubs and restaurants, we didn't even need to rent a car. I have come to the Cayman's for a number of years and it is too bad what "Ivan" did but they sure are bouncing back quickly.You don't need passports but it highly advisable that you have one, if you have a birth certificate with a raised seal that will work. When down here I love to see Stingray City and since I dive alot I use Ocean Frontiers ( I think by far the best on the island ). Cayman is a great place to chill out.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:12 PM

spankerdog, My wife and I are going to Grand Cayman in April and will be staying at the Regal Beach Club. We were fortunate to get a beach front two bedroom and I was hopeful you could provide some feedback on the resort itself....ie, how is the beach? rooms? staff? good restaurants and any thing else you think would be helpful. Our unit is on the 2nd floor and I think I would have preferred the ground floor, but that unit was already gone. I really went back and forth between the Regal and the Westin. I think I made the right choice but would appreciate some honest feedback, even if it means saying I chose the wrong place. Thanks...Mike
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Mike you will like Regal Beach the rooms are clean, updated and comfortable. I liked the location the best right across the street is Aqua Beach restaurant and at night they have a awesome jerk pit bbq. The Next Level nightclub is there if you want to party late into the night. Just down the street is Coconut Joe which is a neat little bar with swings. Pretty cool spot with lots of people at night, they also serve a decent breakfast at a resonable price. Two doors down at Comfort Suites is the bar Stingers a little out of the way but really nice staff. Definitely a better pick than the Westin, way over priced and the rooms smell of mold.If you stay there you would need a car as it is at the end of the beach mostly condos from there on. At least where you are everything is within walking distance. Try Fidels for Friday night happy hour, great free buffet. The Regal beach is great nice and wide and not busy not gawkers. Anyway have a great time you will love the K-mans. Soon come