Family vacation in Caribbean

Jun 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Family vacation in Caribbean

We are planning a family vacation to the caribbean in Feb. Since we are using Marriott rewards points we need to start now. I need suggestions on which resort in the caribbean would be the best for that regarding the newest,up-to-date with the most amenities and nicest beaches as we like to use the hotel but also venture out. I have an 11yr old and a 6yr old and we like to snorkel, golf, swim, shop, eat at the local spots, explore marine life and lay by the soft sandy beaches. Last yr we went to the JW Marriott in Kolina Hawaii and loved it but are exploring other options. Any suggestions????
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Take a look at the Marriott on Grand Cayman. Great beach, and the island is easy to do with kids.
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:46 AM

Take a look at the Marriott on St. Kitts. We booked a trip for April there using Marriott points and upgrading with cash. The island is not as developed as some others but the resort is newer, has a golf course and gets very good reviews.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/SKBRB

I've never been to Grand Cayman but from what I read, 7 Mile beach would be hard to beat. The resort was recently renovated from the hurricane but doesn''t seem as elaborate as the resort in st. Kitts. There are also Marriotts in Aruba, Mexico and Puerto Rico but I was torn between St. Kitts and Grand Cayman. You can check out the reviews for each on www.tripadvisor.com
Jun 20th, 2006, 05:19 AM

In terms of beachfront, the Marriott on Grand Cayman still has one of the narrowest strips of Seven Mile Beach, but the Courtyard's stretch is much better. Neither of these hotels will be of the same standard as a JW Marriott. Similarly, the beach at the St. Kitts Marriott is not the best. I'd recommend the Curacao Marriott, which we recommend highly in our Caribbean guide.
Jun 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Look into Aruba too. There is a Marriott on a terrific stretch of beach. There is plenty of shopping, many very good restaurants to choose from (I recommend the Tango steakhouse. I know there are better know steakhouses there but none have professionaltango dancers performing), there is good snorkeling. In fact there is a sunken WW II German freighter whose superstructure is visible from the shore that has become a reef over the yrs. and it quite a popular site. You can also rent a boat from shore for snorkeling excursions. There is also a Robert Trent Jones designed golf course that is fairly new too. Cheers. Larry
Jun 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I second the Curacao Marriott
Jun 20th, 2006, 04:52 PM

I second Larry's recommendation of the Marriott in Aruba. You could also look in to the Marriott Ocean Club or the Marriott Surf club - both next door to the Marriott Resort in Aruba. We used points about five years ago for the Ocean Club and loved our stay but I have noticed it's difficult to use points for there now unless you can plan way in advance.