Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman Island and The Reef Resort, how is this condo?

Jan 30th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I want to visit Grand Cayman Island for our first time.

After reviewing the resorts, we found that none were fitting in terms of being upscale. So we are going to rent a condo instead.

Has anyone stayed @ The Reef Resort?

If so can you answer the following questions for me?

1) How is the overall property?
2) Is it clean?
3) How are the beds?
4) The beach?

Thank you!
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:44 AM

Susan,
Since this is your first visit to GC, let me start by saying that the Reef Resort is on the east end of the island, 40 min from the airport, and a car is a must!! Your out in the middle of nowhere! Having said that, if your looking for peace and quiet, and a very relaxing vacation, the Reef is great.

In answer to your questions..
1)The property is fairly new and very nice.
2)Very clean and condos are nicely furnished
3)We have never stayed there, so I can't comment on the beds.
4)The beach area is ok, but it's not like 7MB. It's not as calm I should say.

Staying in that area, you won't find crowds or traffic or cruise ship people. But nightlife is minimal, along with restaurant selections and shopping.

We stay on that side of the island and love the seclusion, but it's not for everyone. If you have any more questions, please feel free.
Sandy
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Sandy-

We would enjoy a more quiet side of 7MB. Is the beach sandy though? And can you walk along it for a long time or does it stop?

Also, what recommendations do you have in terms of accomodations for my husband and myself.

Thank you very much.
Jan 31st, 2003, 08:02 AM

Aqua Bay condos on North 7MB have been recommended to me and all of the reviews I have read have been excellent. Look it up (and all the condos on 7MB) on www.caymanvacations.ky
Jan 31st, 2003, 12:11 PM

If you want peace & quiet along with a long stretch of beach to walk, then you need to look at the northern section of 7MB. There are several condos that are very nice in that area. I wouldn't call them "Ritz Luxury" but nice & comfortable. Check out www.caymanvacations.com which lists most of the condos on 7MB, along with pricing 7 pictures. There is also a map showing the location of the resorts.
Jan 31st, 2003, 01:19 PM

my hubby and I are leaving on feb 9 for a week grand cayman and aqua bay. we cannot wait. i will do a trip report when we return. thanks to everyone for their help.

karan
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:37 PM

Susan1,
I have to agree that I think northern 7MB might be more suitable. Like Scott mentioned, check out caymanvactions.com and look at condos Aqua Bay, London House, Discovery Point. Great beach that you can walk forever. Also look at Plantana, very nice, little more centrally located. For a first trip, I think you'll be happier.
Sandy