Grand Cayman/Feb. 2003

Mar 29th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Sari

Grand Cayman/Feb. 2003

My husband and I are planning on using our Marriott Reward at the Marriott Hotel in Grand Cayman next winter. Can anyone tell me the weather, dress, etc. for this time of year. Lately, I find casual and more casual to be "in". Any great restaurants? I know that everything is expensive, but any and all information would be appreciated. Is there anything special to see or do - aside from the obvious water sports??

Mar 29th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Scott

Sari,
You are in for treat as far as restaurants in GC. Here is a quick list of some that we have enjoyed:
1. Reef Grill - This is one of the best on the island, the only one we have eaten at twice while there. Their signature dish is Sea-bass which is one of the best meals I have ever had. This is a "must do" place.
2. Smugglers Cove - This is our 2nd favorite. Their signature lobster stuffed filet mignon is to die for. This is another "must do" place.
3. Calypso Grill - Another gem. They have a fishcake appetizer that is outstanding, and their blackened Mahi-Mahi is excellent.
4. Ristorante Pappagallo - An italian restaurant that is top notch. The atmosphere alone is worth the trip. The lobster ravioli is incredible.
5. The Wharf - You'll most likely get mixed reviews here. We have always had great meals here, and the location doesn't get much better.
6. Naked Fish - Very low key, casual place south of town, food basic but quite good, nice spot on the water.
7. Crows Nest - Another small little place on the water, somewhat basic, but pretty good.
8. Lazy Lizard - Funky little place on the main drag, good for lunch. Conch fritters weren't too good, but there chicken wraps were tasty.
9. A couple take-out places for an easy meal: 'Chicken-Chicken'(just like Boston Market) and a small 'Ribs & Pizza' place acorss from the Westin(babybacks were awesome)
Couple places we din't enjoy very much: The Peninsula(Marriot)maybe we just ordered the wrong thing, but their steak wrap was tougher than leather...no exaggeration!! Eats Cafe, we heard good things about this place for a quick lunch, but weren't very impressed. Again, maybe we just ordered the wrong thing.
All the restarants I have mentioned are pretty casual. Even the fancy places at the top of our list, I wore shorts, and a nice golf shirt, and my wife a sundress of some sort. There may be a few places that require long pants, but I haven't been to them yet!! 99% of the restaurants are casual dress. I just wouldn't wear a bathing suit and tank top to the nicer ones....just use common sense.

Hope this list gets you started...seriously consider our top 3 choices...you will not be disapointed...

Mar 29th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Trish

It seems those Marriott rewards are worth looking into! We were in GC last month and the weather was 84-87 degrees every day. Dress is very casual, but we brought some nice clothes for places like the Grand Old House and were glad we did. Almost everyone was dressed up there. The Westin does a great Sunday morning brunch buffet that you and your husband would enjoy. Other than that, we ate breakfast at Eats and I guarantee you will like their food and prices. If you like waterside eating, try Smugglers Cove. We spent a fair amount of money on GC, and we're glad we went. However, GC doesn't provide a lot of things to see or do not related to water.

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:25 PM
juli

It may be helpful to be more specific in your questions, you usually get more responses. I am not sure how many posts you've read but there is a slew of information about Cayman already posted if you take the time to read it all, or have the time. It can be overwelming so if you have any specific questions just ask. If not it should be in all the previous posts.

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:25 PM
Kevin

Its touristy but you have to dive Sting Ray City and go see the Turtle Farm. There is nothing to HELL but a couple of junk stores - don't waste your time

Jun 5th, 2002, 07:29 AM
allen

try regazzi for italian and i second
calypso grill from previous poster. actually that list is very accurate.
the beach in front of the Marriot is quite small. You may want to walk north a bit on 7mb to get a nicer, sandier beach. cayman, is casual.
but sometimes it seemed to me
people think casual means sloppy.
nice trousers and t shirt, sundress
or nice shorts...sandels will do the
trick. Stingray City is fun, Hell is hell!
the caymans is about beach and
restaurants. there is a movie theatre.