Grace bay Club or Regent Palms

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know these questions are asked incessantly, so I hope you all don't mind another one.

I have been researching and looking at T&C ever since our last trip to anguilla, which we loved. I think i've convinced DH to vacation there next year. If we go through Amex, we can stay at grace bay and have breakfast included, a possible upgrade , as well as 2 free massages. However, when looking at the websites, it seems that DH (and maybe I) would prefer regent palms. The rooms look gorgeous. We like full service hotels and wonderful rooms and grounds and beaches. I think if RP was an amex property, the choice might be made for us...

That being said, when we went to Anguilla, we stayed at Cap Juluca and loved it. We were very happy to have chosen it over Cuisinart. Would one say GBC is like Cap and RP is like Cuisi? I have no idea if that's a fair statement, so I'm wondering.

Also, I would like to know if the 2 are considered the same level hotel-- are they both "5 star" so to speak? or is one thought of as just above or just below the other?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

One more addition. we will be travelling with our 3 year old DD, if that makes a difference. Thank you
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 02:47 AM

I have been to Cap, and CuisinArt and others in Anguilla.

I have stayed at probably 85% of the resorts in T&C.

Please tell me more about yourselves, there is not a bad place to stay in T&C, but they each have their own personality.

My opinion:

Regent Palms=see and be seen crowd. Very chic, almost a Miami South Beach atmosphere. Again, my opinion, but the worse food for the money. (It's not bad, just not the best.) People here wear designer sunglasses and always look good. It is the most crowded of my opinions. I like the location of this better, especially with a child, you are in closer walking distance to shops, and ice cream!

Grace Bay Club=feels like a Four Seasons or Ritz. The original GBC does not allow children under 12. The main restaurant also does not allow children under 12, you would have to eat at the more casual Rouge Grill. Recently refurbished, the rooms are gorgeous, but have dark woods and earthtones. It's the most expensive of my opinions, as with a child you probably really want a room with a kitchen, to keep snacks, drinks on demand.

I'm going to add to the mix: The Somerset=probably feels more like Cap, vs Regent Palms feels more like CuisinArt. No secret here, Somerset is my personal favorite property. I personally feel that the architecture is prettier, (for my tastes) and it's air is more personable, while ultra luxury, it's more laid back. It has the better restaurant too.

Again, tell us more about what you liked about Cap over Cuisinart, and what you want out of vacations.

They are all gorgeous, yet all have a different feel. there are even more resorts for you to consider too.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Blamona, I was hoping you would weigh in on this.

We are a couple in our late 30s/ very early 40s with a 3yo child. The regent palms sounds like something my DH would LOVE, as he's a big fan of south beach.however, we LOVED the quiet, exclusive luxury of cap juluca. To us, Cuisi just didn't have that 5 star luxurious feel that CJ did ( i could be wrong as I didn't stay at Cuisi). But at cap, we really felt like we were at an exclusive, luxurious resort.

While, to be honest, we might be "wearing our designer sunglasses" ;-), we want to relax and not be "on" the whole time. I'm getting an image of the delano or the shore club in Miami and not too sure that's what i want. But I have to say, if my DH read your post he'd say "Book the regent palms!" LOL

To complicate matters...when we travel, the first thing we do is see whether the area as has Four seasons or a Ritz Carlton. While some may feel that these hotels are wonderful but cookie cutter, we like knowing that we will get superb service and can be confident that we will get a great hotel.

You bring up an interesting point about the Grace bay club. I'm not so sure i like the idea of being relegated to a certain part of the hotel. is 'part B' as nice as the main hotel? do you feel, if you are in the kid part that you are getting less, or are at a family resort? Honestly, though we will have our dd with us, that's the last thing we want.

As for restaurants- we have no problem going off property for food (i'll be asking you which are the best restaurants later if i book this!

Any further advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM

T&C is different from Anguilla, in that it's a long long beach with lined up resorts.

Regent Palms and Somerset are right next door to each other. Stay at Somerset, hubby can play over at Palms. He will definately want to check out Nikki Beach on Fri and Sat nights-epitome of South Beach, with day beds and couches draped in curtains on the sand.

For a completely different decision, and Amex friendly, check out Parrot Cay. The best pampering of them all, with the quietness of Cap Jaluca. The architecture is simple minimalist, Asian in feeling, but similar to Delano in South Beach. (Okay I've been there too.) Nikki Beach seems like Shore Club.

Of course, my comparissions don't mean they are the same I'm comparing too, just to give an idea. T&C has it's own feeling.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Blamona! we're not considerng parrot cay only b/c we want to be able to try different restaurants and explore a little. I told him about amanyara and as soon as i described how far it (and the new ritz to come) are from everything else, he agreed it wasn't for us.

Lest I give the wrong impression of my DH, it's not like we'll be partying at Nikki beach. we don't hit those places when we're in south beach together. but he likes the vibe of south beach.

hmmm... lots to think about!thank you!
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM

I personally like the Regent Palms but it's a toss up based on spending 7-8 hours at the Somerset over 3 days plus lunch one day. I would ask on question of both. Are children 5 (just as a frame of reference) really welcomed at the hotel and formal dining rooms at diinner. Not that you will go there but it will tell you something about the current G.M's attitude.
Good to hear you have written off Grace Bay. We never enjoyed that resort despite 2 tries over the years.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Blamona and Stan (and anyone else), when i was looking at tripadvisor, it rated Grace Bay and somerset as 4 star and regent palms as 5 star. Is this a fair rating? or is this arbitrary?
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:41 AM

I personally don't think one deserves a star (or 1/2) more than the others. They are fairly equal properties with different "feelings" to them.

What time of year are you planning to go? That can also make a difference.

Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

That's what I thought. we're hoping to go end of February or early march.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 05:29 AM

Just returned from T & C and stayed at the Somerset. We had a huge, gorgeous 1500 sq. ft penthouse condo. We went over the the Palms often for dining and visiting the gift shops. My DH sounds more like yours and he definetely wants to stay at the Palms next time. The Palms had more children, was more elegant. Our condo at Somerset was in the Sterling building set back from the beach. I would prefer to be beach front, if possible. Both are luxury resorts.
I would say the Palms is 5 star, Somerset 4++.