Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Going to Sandals Ochos Rios In Late Oct. Any Advice??

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Jason

I'm going to Sandals Ochos Rios in Late Oct. (Oct. 20-27 '02) & would appreciate any comment's on weather that time of year, things to do, how the Resort is, Ect. I'm 28 & my Girlfriend is 24, how safe is it there?? Travel agent tells me one thing, then I read some of the posts on the board & I start to wonder if the agent was just lying to me to get a sale. Thanks.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Sarah

Jason,

We went to Sandals Ocho Rios last September for our honeymoon. We had a great time. We stayed on the resort for the most part, but also went on a number of excursions. We never felt like we were in danger or had to worry. When you go off the resort, the people are friendly for the most part, but rather pushy if you are in a market or shopping or doing an activity where tipping is required. Be sure to have plenty of American dollars for tipping or your provider (bus driver, tour guide, wait staff, golf caddy, etc) can be quite rude. You will be approached to purchase marijuana, but if you politely decline, you shouldn't have a problem. On the resort, the staff is very friendly and will help with anything. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Penney

We were jsut there in April - it is really the prettiest Sandals we have been too and it jsut really surpirsed us at howmuch we loved it.

For one thing, the grounds are far prettier then the books even show - very lush and tropical, peaceful, paths leading here and there - very pretty and romantic. Nciely spreadout too in that no one place ever felt crowded.

Hanging on the peir by the beach is great but need to get a chair there early as they go quick - ncie and cool there! Pool gathers a good crowd in the afternoons for cocktails and there is a mean game of beach volleyball each afternoon. Evening entertainment was good but disco was quiet. People seemed to prefer the piano bar.

Food was very good - very nice seleciton at the buffets so you will not get bored with the food. Arizona's on the beach is sooooo nice - try to get there early for the sunset. The Italian restuarant too was excellent.

Rooms are very nice - very few bad locations as most face the gardens.

Do get over to Sandals Dunn's River - the bus goes there hourly. It is very different from Sandals Ocho! Beaches Grande Sport is literally right next door (beach to the left is facing the water) so you can go right out the front gates and to the right, down the raod to their beach club. to get to the top of Grande, jsut take the beach shuttle up. Beaches Royal Plantation is down the beach to the right and you can see if from the water. If you want a tour, you need to call them and request one.

Sip Sops are excellent drinks! Be careful if you play drink mixology! Wicked game!!

Dunn's river Falls is the big tour while there - do bring water shoes and go on a day that the cruises ships ar not in port. Shopping in town is excellent but bargin big time!!!! Cabs to go cost the same as the price through the resort. The booze cruise is also fun - goes over to Margaritaville and alot of people really recommended the rafting tour.
Snorkeling is good and you can rent jet ski from the guy over the fence - he will say it is $50 but you can get it for $35!

We have been to Jamaica 6 times and never encountered a problem. While the people on the resort are the friendlist people you will ever meet, off the resort, while still friendly, are rather pushy. A firm NO and walk away works fine. Jsutu use common street sense that oyu would in any unknown city.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. There are great pic's including mine and other info at : www.tropictravelonline.com

Have a great trip!!

Penney

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:10 PM
beenthere

Things to do Department: cancel and rebook at another resort.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 02:40 PM
ss

dear "been there, done that"

What a useless post. Perhaps if you said why you didn't like sandals ochos rios your post would be credible.

Anyway... we were at this resort 5 years ago. The gardens are fabulous. Our room was in the villas and it was very large, and had a balcony. USe common sense when leaving the resort and you will be fine ie don't go out at night alone etc. Just say no when/if you are offered drugs etc. Sandals provides a free shuttle to the other sandals (dunns river) on the island, where you can dine and play for free.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:16 PM
SANDALSSUCKS

We fell into the sandals-died-and-gone-to-heaven trap a few years ago. It was our first carribean vacation and we thought it was the best thing next to sliced bread. I'm here to tell you "there is life after sandals!". The Air Jamaica flight was a joke - some third-rate fly-by-night operation that was literally held together with DUCK TAPE! Yeah, we wrote to ol' Butch but never heard back from him. We stayed at the Dunns River Resort which, supposedly was the his pride & joy -his "Showcase Resort". The rooms were sadly in need of renovating, smelled very musty, and the "nightly entertainment" was sorely lacking. The place pretty much shut down around 10:00 every night, except for a few die-hards who appeared to be on holiday and refused to turn in before 11:00 each night! The "hot-tubs" where a chilly 68 degrees - they refused to turn them on. What a dump!! We've traveled to many carribean all-inclusive resorts since then, and will never visit Sandals again!!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:27 AM
xxx

I have never been to Sandals, but I have been to Ocho Rios. It was a scary place.

We stayed a a small hotel on a lovely piece of property. We were told by management to stay on the property and not to go out at night unless we took a taxi directly from the hotel to our destination and back. Even during the day it was quite uncomfortable to take a walk off the property. You would be instantlly confronted by people asking for money, following you or making remarks to you. We felt like captives at our hotel. Never again - why visit somewhere and not be able to go out and about as you please!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Nancy

Sorry but I have no interest in going anywhere where people are "friendly but pushy" where I need to "say no firmly and walk away".
If I "will be offered drugs" I don't want to go there.
When there are so many other wonderful destinations,why would anyone subject themselves to this kind of nonsense? Is it just a matter of price? Is Jamaica cheap enough to attract people even with these serious drawbacks? I don't get it.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Topper

To the top

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Jenn

I'm sure you'll have a great time. You should be fine with the weather barring any tropical storm that might crop up. The odds are with you though.
I'm not a Sandals fan but if you go with the idea that you're going to have fun no matter what you'll be ok.
Jamaica is not the safest destination in the world and I personally don't go there anymore. If you leave the resort you will be approached with drugs and other things for sale. Be polite but very firm.
I wouldn't venture off the resort grounds at night, only in the daytime and then only into touristed areas. Be careful

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Joe

Stay on the resort. Only leave it with tour groups or other people. Never take a taxi that doesn't have a red license plate. The red license taxis are regulated. We stopped there for a cruise two years ago and ours friends took a taxi without a red plate. They were mugged by the driver at knife point, left stranded, and the female was threatened with rape. The Burger King in Ochos Rios had armed guards at both doors and only the tourists were allowed in....no locals. Be careful there and don't go anywhere secluded, the people are very poor, danferous, aand CRAZY!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:47 PM
xxx

Why do people still go? It doesn't sound like a vacation destination to me.