Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Destination wedding advice -- elegant & reasonable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Karolina

Hello all --<BR><BR>My fiance popped the question last month in Portugal, so now's the hard part -- planning the wedding. I think I've realized that planning a wedding simply doesn't interest me, and I'd like to do something a little differentb and intimate. So a destination wedding would seem to fit the bill. <BR><BR>So my question is: Can anyone recommend a place to have a destination wedding that's both elegant and not too expensive? I'm afraid that some of the smaller islands are going to be out of some of my friends' financial means, and I'd hate to exclude people right off the bat. <BR><BR>Last year, my fiance and I vacationed at The Ritz in St. Thomas, and it was magnificent. I'm afraid, though, that that vacation might have soured me on other resorts. We're thinking about 25 people would come, so we're looking at all inclusives in areas like Negril and Palya del Carmen. So far our top pick is Couples Swept Away. But I just don't know -- how is that place? <BR><BR>Can anyone suggest someplace small, not overrun by millions of rabid tourists, that doesn't churn out a dozen weddings a day, but still readily accessible (flight-wise) to all of our friends around the country?<BR><BR>Thank you to everyone in advance!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:28 AM
John

We just got married Oct 4 at Swept Away and thought the place was exceptional. They did a terrific job on our wedding - a Catholic one at a church not far from Swept Away.<BR><BR>I would be happy to send you our trip and wedding report and some pictures.<BR><BR>We couldn't be happier with what they did for us - and the facility is fantastic!<BR><BR>We researched the Caribbean for a number of months - and made the right choice in the end - from all perspectives.<BR><BR>John<BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Dahling

Karolina,<BR>So sad that you have less financially fortunate friends and relatives that preclude your "destination wedding" being much more fabu than it could be. I'm sure that must be very difficult for you.<BR>Playa del Carmen has a lot of AI choices (how gauche) that will accomodate your friends and family and provide a lovely backdrop for your wedding with lots of things to do in the area.<BR>Should you decide you simply can't compromise your quality of accommodations, leave them in the dust, and go on your own, might I suggest: <BR>St. Barts - Le Toiny<BR>Anguilla - Cap Juluca<BR>Nevis - Four Seasons<BR>Puerto Rico - Horned Dorset Primavera<BR>Playa del Carmen - Maroma<BR>(Of course, you could just ensconce them all at some tacky AI in PDC and go to Maroma on your own. The more I think of that idea, the more I think it would work perfectly for you.)<BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:57 AM
fyi

Since you were so delighted by the Ritz on St. Thomas, why not repeat? A variety of accomodations close by the Ritz to suit everyone's budget and choices.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:00 AM
xyz

Karolina: Contrary to what Dahling says, there are some beautiful and elegant all-inclusive resorts to choose from throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. Choose wisely and you won't be disappointed.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Karen

Karolina<BR>Lesson One-<BR>Elegant and Reasonable do not mix. You get what you pay for as there are no bargains in life, espically in the caribbean. This is not a Family Reunion where everyone has to agree on the cost of a trip. This is YOUR WEDDING! Find the place where you would like to be married, those who can, will - those who can't - too bad. It sounds like the both of you enjoy and can afford the luxury so go for it. I got married in the caribbean, in a luxury location. It was just my husband and I. When we retuned home,(2 days later) my family had a Wedding Celebration at a country club. It made my family happy bacause they had invitations to send and a party to plan. We had a wedding cake, photographer, flowers etc. It was a mini wedding. Most of all there were no hard felings - everyone was happy, espically us. It was the wedding of our dreams.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Mary

I had the same the scenario as yours when I was choosing where to get married. Ultimately, we chose an all-inclusive because of some family and friends’ financial situations. All-inclusive worked out extremely well because they never had to spend a dime, if they didn’t want to or couldn’t, once they got there. Went through Apple Vacations through my travel agent. No surprise costs – the $1,200 per person includes airfare, airport transfers, taxes, hotel, air, food & drinks. We chose the Wyndham Morgan Bay in St. Lucia. Not extremely elegant but the resort was very nice and the food was very good with top shelf liquor was included. I would seriously look into Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Some of the AI resorts there are more elegant but easy on the pocketbook, plus lots of outside activities and sightseeing for those interested. Would have gone there myself but wanted to try something different. I loved Playa del Carmen.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Mary

I'd also like to opine that, yes, elegant and reasonable can mix. Friends of ours were married at the Iberstar Tucan in Mexico a few years ago. It was both elegant (marble floors & pillars, flowers, greenery, white sheer veiling, etc.) and the all-inclusive price was well worth it.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Karolina

Thank you very much to everyone who's responded to my post thusfar. John, I'd love to see whatever info you might have on Swept Away. As everyone knows, reality is not always a reflection of what is portrayed on a web site. And since all of these places are in the Caribbean, it's not like I can hop over and check them out ahead of time.<BR><BR>Dahling, I can only assume that you were being sarcastic in your post, since I can't imagine someone leaving their friends and family "in the dust," as you so eloquently put it, and run off elsewhere and get married. My point, quit esimply, is that airports like Montego Bay and Cancun get much more traffic than, say, St. Bart's, and therefore, it's much easier for everyone to get a reasonably priced ticket to get there.<BR><BR>FYI, though I did love The Ritz at St. Thomas, I'm loathe to repeat a vacation so soon after the first time. I've sent off for info on the Ritz properites in Jamaica and Puerto Rico, and I understand that they have a new property opening in the Caymans next year. Perhaps I could work out a decent group rate for the off season with them. Does anyone have any experience with weddings at Ritz properties?<BR><BR>Mary, I'll check out some of your suggestions. I noticed yeaterday that Wyndham has an extensive destination wedding section of their web site. <BR><BR>Thanks again, everyone.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Tiffany

Karolina - let me just say that you need not worry about making everyone else happy, it was YOU want and what makes YOU happy. This is your day!! I just returned from being married in Antigua and it was wonderful! I didn't have any friends and family there, but I tell you I wouldn't have done it any other way! It was completely stress free and beautiful! I couldn't have been more pleased...I couldn't have imagined getting married being so much fun!! <BR><BR>I can't give you too much advice on where to stay or go, but I hope that you do what makes YOU happy - believe me you will be glad you did in the long run. I was married at Sandals Antigua and I couldn't have asked for better, I loved it. That may not be what your looking for, but hope you do find what YOU want. Good luck and congrats!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Mary

Sometimes having your friends and family there is what makes the event that much more special. Karolina, please include them if that is your desire. My husband and I are very glad we did.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:09 AM
gail

Since you are trying to walk the fine line between more expensive setting and one you hope family/friends will attend, I urge you to try to find a way to get some honest pre-feedback from those you hope to attend about whether or not they will and whether it matters where it is. I plead guilty to saying "Oh, how nice!" when told of destination wedding plans but realities of timing and finances cause me to send a "regrets" card back when invitation arrives. Even though I thought very fondly of the couple, a tent on a very cheap beach would not have gotten me there - it just would not have worked for our family.<BR><BR>You may find that the difference in cost or location may not really be the deciding factor with a good number of guests - or it may - only you can guage your family/friends on this. <BR><BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Marge

Friends of our went through the same thing last year. They did a lot research on the different forums. Her hubby and her chose St. John, USVI. They rented a beautiful villa. It was the best wedding we ever attended. <BR><BR>They got married on Trunk Bay beach at sunset. Everyone had a blast.<BR><BR>St. John is a glorious island. Clean, beautiful beaches, shopping, restaurants and exquisite villas.<BR><BR>My husband and I have a timeshare and have been to many islands. We thought St. John was one of the prettiest we have seen and the beaches have the clearest "aqua" water. Really a wonderful island.<BR><BR>You also have a choice of the Westin resort and the more expensive, Caneel Bay. We loved the idea of staying in a villa. Much more privacy and views to die for.<BR><BR>Good luck and congratulations.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:14 AM
xxx

The most 'elegant' sort of country clubbish place I can think of is the Half Moon Beach Club in Jamaica. Very elegant.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 03:03 PM
GM

I would '2nd the motion' for St. John, also, not necessarily at the Westin, but there's other places, and the wedding on Trunk Bay! Gorgeous!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Jill

I will third the motion re: St. John.<BR><BR>We also got married on Trunk Bay. I can not even begin to tell you how beautiful it was. It also was a sunset wedding with noone on the beach except us and our small wedding group.<BR><BR>We rented a villa and from hearing about others experience, we hired a chef to come to the villa to cook for us after the ceremony. It was amazing and no more (actually less) expensive that going to a restaurant. The chef and the food was aboslutely wonderful. We liked the idea of this being very private and sharing our wedding with only our guests rather than being at a restaurant with a lot of strangers looking on.<BR><BR>St John was so pretty, beautiful beaches, great town to shop in and there are a lot of fun and upscale restaurants. The best part was renting a jeep and exploring the island and coming back to the villa at the end of the day, mixing a few cocktails and lounging around the pool and enjoying the sunsets. It was a magical wedding/honeymoon for us.<BR><BR>This is just my opinion and experience. We had never been to St. John before, we planned everything from people I wrote to over the internet that had married/honeymooned on St. John. Everything truly was wonderful and better than our expectations.<BR><BR>No matter where you end up going, congratualtions and best wishes.<BR><BR>Jill

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:04 AM
check it out

Check out some of the out islands in the bahamas, very clean and gorgeous, your friends can stay there or back in Nassau and come over for the day, much cheaper to stay in Nassau, then join you for your wedding day. we are leaving for a wedding at the radisson cable beach, and just wish they had picked an out island instead of a resort type atmosphere.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Karolina

Jill and others -- thanks for the great ideas about St. John. When we were in St. Thomas last year, we went over to St. John for a day and agree that it was quite beautiful. Jill, can you email or post here some details about how you went about finding a villa to rent and getting a chef, officiant, photographer, etc.?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Sandy

You won't find the Bahamas to be half as beautiful as St. John, St Bart or even Bermuda. <BR><BR>We went to Harbour Island, Bahamas.It has one pretty 3 mile beach. That's about it. There is no comparison. <BR><BR>It depends on what your looking for. We spent 5 days on Harbour Island. The hotel was fine and people nice but there wasn't much to do and it wasn't as picturesque. <BR><BR>The next trip was to St. John and wow, it was gorgeous with so much to do. <BR><BR>There are boat trips to take for a day over to the Baths in Virgin Gorda or some of the other BVI islands or you can take the 20 min. ferry if you want to "shop till you drop" to St. Thomas.<BR><BR>I agree with the other above posts about St. John. It would be our choice for a wedding/honeymoon over the Bahamas. <BR><BR>go to the USVI online forum. You will get many honest opinions. We also rented a villa and it was stunning with views everywhere and gorgeous inside and out. <BR><BR>Congratualtions.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Joan

Do you really want family and friends on your honeymoon? I vote for the private ceremony where you want and have a party when you get home. You will find out sooooo quickly that you cannot please everyone, and afterall it is your wedding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -