Search

Getting around in PR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting around in PR

We're a family of 4, thinking of going to PR early June. We're avid outdoors people, so want to hike, birdwatch, snorkel, scuba (maybe), do the rainforest, biolum bay, beaches, etc. Far prefer going alone, rather than on tours when possible. It seems like you really need a car to get from one place to another, but it also sounds as if driving in PR is crazy! Recommendations?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've rented a car in PR a few times and survived. Just be alert. Driving is no more crazy than in NY or any other big city.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM
EJC

Hi, Ive been to PR twice. Renting a car is a MUST, for what you intend on doing. The only bad part of driving, is in the San Juan area. You must keep your head on a swivel. Once you get out of SJ, driving is fun. Most roads are well marked. When you arrive @ the airport and pick-up your car, make sure you get a map. There is soooooo much to see outside of SJ. Remember PR is the 4th largest island in the caribbean. If you like to explore, you picked the right island.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Hi,

I would get a rental car. Yes driving here can be a little crazy, but as long as you are watching the traffic you will be fine. Plus it is way cheaper than paying for organized trips (e.g. half-day El Yunque tour $45 per person. car for one day $35+gas).

Plenty to see and do here.
If you would like, see the posts here
www.visit-the-coqui.com
and browse around

Hope you have a great trip
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM

It's not that bad. It's not crazy as in driving 50mph on city streets weaving in and out of traffic, it's crazy as in complete disregard for stop signs/lights at lower speeds and merging whether you like it or not at 2mph crazy. It's so flagrant you're too amazed to get road rage. But the highways weren't any worse than home, although the signage (especially in San Juan) left a lot to be desired (although it was still much better than Pittsburgh- I've been there 7 times and I still can't find my way out).

But make sure you get a good map- the one that comes with the rental car (at least with Dollar) is missing or mislabeled a lot of very large important roads (like the toll road to get to Fajardo, for example).
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:02 PM

You'll need a car. The drivers are a bit crazy but if you are alert, you'll be fine.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Brutforce

I didn't think PR was so bad once you got outside of San Juan & could actually drive. BTW, they seem to let drivers make left hand turns first before proceeding through lights. Just a heads up, you will certainly need a car.

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your answers!

H.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Agree with all the above. I found driving outside of San Juan to be easy and no stress...however, in San Juan the drivers are a little more aggressive but even there it was not bad at all. Just lots of traffic and some narrow streets. Overall I did not find driving in PR any worse than many other places I have driven.