Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Day trip from St. John: Virgin Gorda or Jost Van Dyke?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:30 AM
jan

We are looking to take a couple of day trips to other virgin islands in March. We will be staying on St. John. If you had to choose b/t Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke, which would it be and why? Any other BVI's that we should visit (and that are easily accessible by ferry)?

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Melanie

I've never been to Jost Van Dyke however, Virgin Gorda is one of the most beautiful places on this earth!<BR>Swimming and snorkeling in the baths was a blessing for me! It's is indeed a treasure you should experience. The water....so beautiful. <BR>Also, Tortola is a nice quite place to visit. There are beaches there that are so pretty. My son and I were able to play with some of the island children there and really had a special day. I've a good friend that flys with Cape Air Airlines who flew me from St. Thomas to Tortola. There we spent some hours on a beach then took the ferry to Vigin Gorda. On Virgin Gorda, we took a shuttle to the baths. It was fun to hike around and island hop. Oh! I mustn't forget to tell you about the flight between St. Thomas and Tortola! The islands are amazing from the air, especially from the smaller planes where you fly low between, around and over the islands.

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About how much does it cost per person to take a ferry from island to island?
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Here's a link to the various ferry schedules and prices:

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/info_bviferry.htm
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM

jvd vs.vg...i think it depends on what you are looking for. a relaxing day on an island with nothing but beach bars and a beautiful beach, plus painkillers at the infamous soggy dollar bar, go to jvd. snorkeling and seeing the baths go to virgin gorda...whatever you decide, the bvi;s are wonderful
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Remember to bring passport if you visit BVIs. Just was there this month at the end of a sailing trip and you can't loose with either, but for the day I would guess Virgin Gorda would have more flexibility with ferries. Tortola would be the easiest of all and has lots of nice beaches etc. too.