driving me crazy

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

driving me crazy

spending 8 days at the end of april,5 in fajardoarea &3 in isle verde.i plan on rentingb a car,but some posts make it sound almost suicidal the way the people drive there.im from n.y. can they drive any more insane.please clear this up.i like to explore but i dont want to risk life $ limb.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Rob

Rent the car. It is the only way to get around.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 12:56 PM
CF

The only thing you have to worry about is the lack of road signs. Last time we were in Fajardo there were none.

I personally think you learn more about an island when you rent a car and drive around yourself. I have been to PR at least 6 times and have never rented a car, but relied on tours and cabs and I feel as tho I know very little about the island. There are other islands where we have rented a car for a week or so and feel much more knowledgable about them. Go for the car!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 01:35 PM
EJC

The San Juan area is worst area for driving.There are just too many people and not enough driving lanes. If there are 3 lanes,they'll make 6. Drivers are very aggressive. Watch-out for the motorcycles!!
Other areas,like Dorado,Rincon,Mayaguez and Boqueron are no problem. Have a good time. Since you'll be in Fajardo,take the ferry to Culebra. Flamenco beach is FANTASTIC. It's probably one of the top 10 in the caribbean.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Louis

Rent a car. There is little traffic once you get out of the San Juan area. However, in the US go to a travel or top book store and buy a quality road map of the Island and the cities. The easy way to cut across the island is on the toll road. You should make of point of seeing the caverns. Stay overnight in a Posada in the highlands, drive through the rain forest, visit old town and the art museum in Ponce, among other things. Since you have been to Puerto Rico many times you can rent the car at the airport and head directly to the other parts of the island. On you return you can leave off the car and say a night or two near the airport and use a cab. In the San Juan area parking can be a minor problem and it is easier to cab about or take public transportation. Exept for Freeways you will you will average about 45 mph on the two lane roads.