COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Gallows Point, St. John - Construction?

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Gallows Point, St. John - Construction?

I'm wondering if anyone has been to Gallows Point in St. John recently and can provide any info on construction in that area of Cruz Bay? I read somewhere that a nearby condo development was generating a fair amount of noise last summer/fall, but I'm wondering if it's the same now (or will be in about a month...). Would any particular units at Gallows be better or worse in this regard?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:29 AM

No construction going on at Gallows but there is down the road. I'm staying at Gallows over the Easter holiday. I called the resort and spoke to a member of their staff and they told me that there is some costruction taking place down the road towards cruz bay. They said it is not a problem generally but you can hear some noise on the harbour side but nothing bad. I trust the folks at Gallows, they have a reputation for being honest and upfront. Reccomend you stay in units 1-7 to avoid any possibility of noise. Good luck.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jimdobs! We've stayed at Maho Bay for our last 2 visits to St. John several years ago--and we loved everything except the fact that you have no clue what tent you will have until you get there. We're now looking forward to Gallows and a little more in the way of creature comforts (and a stellar view), but are trying to make sure that the additional cost is worth it.

Thanks again--hope you enjoy a great stay over Easter.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:35 AM

We just returned from Gallows on Sunday. Had a wonderful stay. The construction noise wasn't much of a problem. They aren't allowed to start any noise related work until later in the morning. We couldn't hear it at all from the ocean view unit we were in, #7. Great unit with a great view, by the way. We'd return in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Cousin, we are also staying in unit 7 over our Easter visit to Gallows. We are in 7D, Loft. Was this the unit you stayed in? We are traveling with our 9 year old and 13 year old children. Supposedly, the pull out sofa bed is more than comfortable. I would love to hear more about your visit and if you did stay in 7D would love to get some more detail. We have been to St.John many times usally rent a villa but the kids get a little bored with the seclusion. Two years ago we stayed at the westin but the rooms we not very large. When we left the island last year we visited Gallows and were impressed with the size and style of the units/suites. for the money i think we will be much happier than in the small rooms at the westin. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:22 AM

Jimdobs: We stayed in 7C, upper loft next to your unit. They're both in a perfect location. Great views of St. Thomas and the snorkeling area down below. No palm trees to block your view and far enough away from the restaurant noise at night. My wife and I have travelled quite a bit and would rate Gallows near the top of our list. We enjoyed the pool area and some of the best snorkeling on the island was right below our unit. There's a ramp and short ladder you can walk down that puts you into the water allowing you to gear up and enter without dealing with the waves. Nice swim platform a short swim away also. Enjoyed being within a short walk of Cruz Bay. We'd take a short walk in the morning to "Every Ting" for our coffee fix. You already know about the restaurants. Seven restaurants, seven excellent meals. Great lunchs at "Sun Dog" in Mongoose Junction. We drove to "Westin" one day. Nice "resort", beautiful grounds and pool. The water and views are better at Gallows. The rooms are larger at Gallows and there's no cab ride required to get to town. Email me if you'd like any more info, [email protected].

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:27 AM

There is a whole new complex of condos going up between Gallows Point Resort and the edge of "town." Most of the recent noise was from removing rocks and boulders. That is now finished, and they haven't started on any further construction. Even when they were excavating, the Harbor view suites got some of the noise. The Ocean Side suites were not affected.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Thanks for getting back cousin. I'm starting to get excited about our trip. I did not realize the snorkeling was so good at Gallows. There are so many great spots on the island that i didn't even consider gallows. One more reason to look foward to our visit. I agree, the dining choices on st.john are incredible. Did you eat at zozo's. What restraunts did you have dinner at? I have heard alot about ten tables. I don't think this restraunt was there last year. Anyway, thanks again for getting back to me.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Cousin - We are staying in 3C in July. Is that also a good unit - seems like the view would be great. Can hardly wait. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM

For vacationgal, 3C should be a great unit. You'll love the views. For Jimdobs, we did eat at Zozo's, escellent. The other restaurants we enjoyed were Morgan's Mango, Asolare, Lime Inn, Fish Trap, Stone Terrace and Tage. We ran out of nights or we would have tried 10 Tables. Heard good reports. It would be hard to pick a favorite. The best food locales weren't always the best ambiance. My favorite meal was probably the snapper special at Morgan's Mango. My wife loved her choices at Asolare and Zozo's. Those two probably had the best ambiance.