Finally got it booked - Negril, Jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick thanks to all of you that have helped me to plan my trip. As some recall this a trip is a gift for my daughters high school graduation.

Jamaica was not at all on my radar, however after much research and advice from many of you, it began to appeal. Especially Negril with it's funky beach town vibe. Only having spent time in Montego Bay, I had an image of all of Jamaica being a hugh all inclusive resort. Thanks for helping me to see differently.

So we have it booked, after months of changes and schedules to consider. Seems the graduate has a whole summer of obligations, that have been a pain to work around.

Craig and Bob at Onestop have been awesome to work with.

We will be splitting our time between Rondel Village and Negril Escape.

I am certain I will be back with more questions, however I have taken note of every restauant recommendation that you all have made to the many posters requesting info on Negril.

Will certainly let you know about our trip.

Thanks again for your time and advice.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I do, indeed, remember when you were trying to put that trip together. The research is fun, but it's such a good feeling when you've got important things like airfare and accommodation taken care of--then it becomes official! Hope that you all have a wonderful time in Negril. Please be sure to post a trip report upon your return. And maybe encourage your daughter to do one, too. It would be very nice to hear from someone her age on this board.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:22 PM

WONDERFUL!! have a blast and be sure to return and tell us about your trip....very interested in negril escape
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

ej - yes it is official and feels good. Airfare and Confirmations are all in hand! I will certainly encourage my daughter to add some of her thoughts to mine, once we return.

Sammy - I am sure we will have a very memorable time. I am uncertain about Negril Escape, however some recent reviews seem that the hotel is much improved. At least the pictures are much prettier than the old! To be honest my first choices of RockHouse and Tensing Pen were all booked up. So the choice was narrowed to Xtabi, Catcha Falling Star or Negril Escape. Xtabi had nothing on the water, Catcha had no pool, and quite frankly my daughter was always drawn to the pictures of Negril Escape. So NE it is!

As for the beach it was a run between Country Country and Rondel. In the end Rondel has an excellent deal on the one bedroom beachfront that we could not resist!

I certainly will come back with our reviews of Negril.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hi, dfarmer....glad your plans are all set. I think you will really like Rondel. I tried to get in there at Christmas, but it was full so we are back to Mariposa, which is one of my favorites. (Good Italian food, by the way). Country Country is very cute, but I prefer the mid-beach location at Rondel and the beach is wider. Also, there are no screens on the windows at CC which could be a problem in the summer with mosquitos. I will be anxious to hear all about NE. Always looking for new places to try. We are going back to Tensing Pen for a few nights at the end of our trip. They will give you a tour of the property if you are on the cliff road and want to stop in. Have a great time and enjoy the time with your girls....what a fabulous graduation gift!!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM

I was just at Escape, not staying but at shows thre, and the pool was lovely, the water access is great, andhte property generally seemed sprued up after that last hurricane and their conversion to a "boutique" hotel.

I stayed at Catcha Falling Star though and if you get time, walk up the street (they are very close) and check it out...I fell in love with it.

Rondel we've stayed at several times, never disappointed.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi itilson! Yes in looking at the map of the beach, Rondel seems to be smack in the middle. The biggest decision I should have is which way to go - right or left!! And yes we will certainly get over to Tensing, I am thinking this is going to be a place that I will want to return to.

And Liza, I remember you posted to me earlier about Catcha. Glad you liked it!! This one stayed in the running for a long time! But in the end she felt she wanted a pool.

Glad you visited Negril Escape and seem to have positive thoughts about the place? It does look much improved. I have been told that the pool was totally gutted and renovated. It is obvious from the pictures that the rooms have much more character - although at least one of them would give me nightmares to wake up in!! Thank you very much for your comments!

Wish we were leaving today!

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:31 PM

liza, welcome back! How was the festival? I'd sure love to hear/read all about it if you get a moment to put a trip report together!