Does ANY AI have really great food?

Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Does ANY AI have really great food?

I'm not being snobby. Let's compare it to standard cruise ships - buffets that are fine to good, and sit down meals that are good with a few surprises that are truly delicious? Which is all quite acceptable considering the huge number of people they have to serve.

But is there any AI that can do better? If the answer is "YES" - tell me more, please!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:45 PM

Royal Hideaway, MX

(The ONLY one I know of that would fit what you are asking for.)
Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM

We never went to an AI because of all we had heard about the mediocre food (buffets). We went to Royal Hideaway 2 years ago, our first AI, and it was great. Certainly more upscale than most AI's, it has 5 real restaurants, all sit down, regular menus, and the food was excellent. There's a good lunch type place right by the pool, and they also have different theme "barbecue" type things every day at the pool (fajitas, seafood grills, etc.) And since it is AI, you can order multiple things at the restaurants, or eat lunch in the restaurant and still eat the daily grill. Grounds were beautiful, and service was excellent. It really is a great place.
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Secrets Capri at Playa Del Carmen. Delicious! The drinks were great too! ;o)
http://www.secretsresorts.com/capri/index.html
Here's link to some of my pictures...
http://photobucket.com/albums/v59/TnTWalter/Mexico/
Here's my tripadvisor review
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...Peninsula.html
Hope that helps you.
Trish
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:57 AM

And it's the restaurants are not buffet style. They are wonderful sit-down restaurants. They do have some evenings of buffet style around the pool. We did a mexican night and it was really delicious but wasn't as romantic as the other nights.
Trish
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:22 AM

The food at El Dorado Royale, a Karisma property, just north of Playa Del Carmen was wonderful when we were there. No buffets anywhere, each and every dining spot is ala carte and the service is great. Best food at any AI we have been to. And far better than any cruise ship food we have had.
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:36 AM

I'll second Trish's suggestion !! My husband & I have been to the Caribbean/Mexico 21 times (to 12 different All Inclusives) & we thought that Secrets Capri had the best food out of all our trips !! (I can't wait to try Royal Hideaway some day !!). We've never been on a cruise, so I can't compare to that.

Jackie
Feb 24th, 2006, 12:19 PM

I also thought the food at Secrets Capri was good, although not spectacular. I wouldn't put it in the "truly delicious" category. On the contrary, I did not like the food at El Dorado and had some friends that became ill from the food there. I live in a big city with lots of restaurants so I guess I am a little spoiled when it comes to food