Search

Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any suggestions?

This year I cannot seem to get any of my friends to go on vacation with me so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a warm climate, beach type place that maybe could set me up with a roommate. So far I've been considering Club Med-Turks and Caicos, and Breezes Bahamas. The Club Med one sounds like they would help you meet people but my worry there is that there doesn't seem to be much of a town outside of the resort if I happen to get a bad group that week. The Breezes in Bahamas seems like there might be other things to do but it doesn't sound like it gets you involved in activities as much as the Club Med. Anyone know about either of these two places? I am a 36 year old white male, professional. I also don't want to go to one of the Hedonisms because my guess is that they are mostly male populated. I would prefer a 50/50 male/female mix, preferably 25-40 age. I know this is a lot to ask of a place but I thought I would post to find out if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks.

(I first posted this in the traveling solo section but then when I was reading through posts I got the feeling that that section isn't read much so I'm posting here also. Hope that's OK.)

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM

I would say you will most likely meet a lot of people at either place. I do think Club Med is more into their activities though than other all inclusives. I am not sure about the ratio male/female at Hedonism as I would not go there anyway because well frankly it disgusts me, but that is another issue.
I think you would do fine at either. There would be more to do outside of the resort at Breezes and I guess it also depends on whether you want a roommate or not.
Hope you have a good trip wherever you end up!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM

club med t&c is active and on a stunning beach. you are correct though, there really is no town at all. you could visit the other resorts as most have a bar of some sort but def not a singles scene.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Hi Michael,

Would you consider a sailboat cruise in the Caribbean? Windjammer offers great cruises and some of their boats are more typically for singles in the age range you're looking for.

I've been on the Mandalay with my husband and had a fantastic trip - got to have a taste of many smaller islands & did some great snorkling.

People tend to be friendly on these cruises and they will pair you up with a roommate if you want one.

A friend of mine in his late 20's went on the Polynesia after getting divorced a couple years ago and said it was one of the best trips of his life. I've heard it's a fun time for singles.

www.windjammer.com
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Michael,
tpatricco's suggestion is a good one for meeting people as a solo traveler. I sail on WJ regularly once a year. Would sail more but too little vacation time and have family in FL to visit a few times a year. I started to vacation WJ in my late 30's and will sail for the 11th time this fall. I ended up on one for the same reason you posted on this board. Vacation time I didn't want to waste and everyone else was busy or didn't have the money. There are specific trips for singles but truthfully it doesn't matter because the passengers are always friendly and welcoming to solo, pair and group travelers. My first trip I went solo and made friends who remain so today. WJ will also set you up with a room mate if you don't want to pay the single supplement. Definitely not the Ritz or anywhere close to it, but can't think of anything wrong with making new friends in a very informal setting under no pretenses. For the most part everyone leaves any extra baggage at the dock and I'm not talking luggage. For more info visit www.jammerbabe.com and follow the prompts to Windjammer Flotilla and Windjammer Fan Club. This is a good way to read trip reports etc to see if you might be interested.