Do you know Round Hill in Jamaica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to repost my question with a new title and see if I get some responses. We are thinking of Jamaica for my 6-year old daughter's spring break because of the nonstop flight. We have been to FDR (she's outgrown it) and Half Moon (which we liked) and have come across Round Hill which looks like it would work for us. Would love some opinions and I would especially like to hear from someone who used the children's program. Lastly, is the pool decent? My daughter is a great swimmer--it doesn't need to be fancy, but big enough in which to really swim.

Thanks in advance,

Mary in D.C.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM

I'm going to reply just to alleviate some of your frustration.

I have never stayed at Round Hill, but have spent quite a bit of time in the surrounding area.

I'm sure you've done your research on www.tripadvisor and on the Round Hill website. I think they have *upgraded* their pool recently.

If you liked Half Moon, then you will surely love Round Hill.

Look into a villa there...some with pools and staff to prepare meals. Not that much more costly than a room.

My daughters (one 30, the other 27) were competitive swimmers on high school and college teams, but on vacation they both just got to float

At the age of six, I would hope that your daughter gets to float and relax

Round Hill would be a lovely place for relaxation !

Marion

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Marion--thank you! All the reports on Trip Advisor are pretty positive, but I always like to check with Fodorites! Oh absoutely, on the pool, just to play in, but in some of the resorts we've stayed the pool has been suprisingly small (older). I'll look into the villa.

Thanks again,

Mary
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Aside from having your own pool, staying at a villa at Round Hill is preferable to staying in a smaller room/suite. It's a stylish resort, classic, elegant, all moreso than HM. Beach is small however. Don't know the kids program -- there is extensive tennis for older children/teens. Your daughter might enjoy a trip with you off the resort to do whitewater rafting at Great Gorge, or less adventurously, a trip to Mayifields Falls in the Dolphin Head Mts, followed by a late afternoon feeding doctorbirds/hummingbirds by hand
at Rocklands Bird Sanctuary, about 15 min.drive from RH.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

tivertonhouse--thank you; was hoping to hear from someone; it does sound like villa is the way to go and they are already booked for March; the pool that the room/suite guests use was referred to as "older" on tripadvisor and that made us nervous since the pool is a big attraction for us (we stayed at the Bucaneer in St. Croix last year which is a lovely resort with an old, lousy pool).

My thanks! Other opinions welcome!

Mary

P.S. greatly appreciate your other suggestions
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Mary,

You might want to take a look at some of Linda Smith's villas. Many of her properties are located within Round Hill and many others enjoy membership at Round Hill.

www.jamaicavillas.com

Marion
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Depending on how much you like being a bit "remote" might be the determining factor in how much you like RH. Though like Half Moon and The Ritz it sits on a so so beach, what's different is the fact that it's about 30 min. to anywhere from there.
If for example you like to eat out at all at night even a couple of times, it will be somewhat challenging. True you'll eat in their restaurant a couple of times. You'll also obviously have meals in. But if you like to go out at night at all and or have some options.......there are not many. With our now 11 yr old, we've stayed at FDR, HM, The Ritz and RH. That said I think we enjoyed them all for different reasons at the different ages of our daughter. (FDR is obviously not comparable to the others but what it lacks in some ares it makes up in others for young families) I will say that although The Ritz is somewhat "vanilla" it did have a pretty good kids program at the time and also there were enough kids that our daughter quickly found a friend. Over the years, we've found that her ability to make a friend(even just one)while we travel can be the most important factor in an enjoyable vacation for everyone. Last year we stayed in private villa in Run Away Bay. We were VERY lucky to meet a young family that visited the beach each day when we did. Our daugther (an only child) was thrilled for the week. We even did several adventures together as well. (horseback riding, tubing, zip lining) Good luck with your travels and rest assured you'll enjoy Jamaica wherever you end up!!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Michael--thank you; we have just started to experience the "make a friend" and agree that it is key. How old was your daughter when you went to RH? Did you stay in the hotel or a villa?

Thanks!

Mary
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM

I think she was about 7 or so. We stayed in a villa (dont remember the name) and did enjoy it. Dont think we'd go back for a while anyway however for the reasons mentioned.
As we're very comfortable getting out and about, it somewhat hinders our enjoyment not to be able to. At least at Halfmoon or The Ritz, you have 4 or 5 dining options between the two properties. We like HM as it was great for bike rides, walks and such. Whereas The Ritz has a GREAT pool for families and it was pretty family user family. However.....we went in off season and sprung for a larger room with a separate bedroom and pullout couch in the common area.(for our child) There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to being in our own villa vs a "room". We've done both and enjoy them both for different reasons. It all depends what you as a family look for in a precious spring break vacation. We've travled all over the caribbean.......we keep going back to Jamaica for the wonderful people albeit at a villa or resort.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Micheal--thanks! Appreciate your insights; just as a thought take a look sometime at the Buccaneer in St. Croix--there were tons of kids your daughter's age and they all seemed to have fun together; while the pool is not great there, the beach is and there are lots of dining options all over the island.

thanks again,

Mary
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:00 AM

MoBay's not famed for its restaurants nor nightlife, but there are some good choices a short drive away from RH:
The Houseboat Grille in the cruiseship
area of Bogue Lagoon; Tapas and Julia's/the latter like an old 'Sardi's South' on Bogue Hill;The Native intown on Gloucestershire/the strip for Jamaican and Akbar for Indian. 3 Dives and Norma's in Negril,1 hour, should you go for the day and the beach, are very good.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Excuse me for threadjacking here but tiverton you said "whitewater rafting at Great Gorge"

...????? Never heard of it, please tell me more?
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:41 AM

Liz:Caliche, for one, is running rafts on Great Gorge when water high. Carolyn's got about 3-4 places to whitewhater, class 2 up to 5...
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

We found a villa through a wholesaler/consolidator. Anybody have an opinion on the meal plans--we will definitely have a cocktail before dinner and wine with dinner so is the all-inclusive worth it? Assuming drink prices are steep as they are at many resorts?? Also with that option you can go to Marguerites", "Town House", "MA LOU'S" and "Day-O-Plantation" on a dine-around.

Any opinions?

thanks!

Mary
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:33 PM

When your driver picks you up at airport, before heading to RH, have him stop at S&S liquors at Westgate Plaza or SuperPlus in Bogue Plaza for liquor/wine buys. Wine on island is dicey/pricey, with Argentine/Chilean merlots and chards tho a safe bet at about US$8-15/bottle. Expect Stateside pricing on imports and namebrands like Kettle One, Grey Goose,etc. The restaurant choices on the dine-around was pretty average. The Town House in-town is a bit of a relic from the 1950s, which can be interesting all on its own. Margueritte's is good -- but on
'The Strip', Gloustershire which is touristic to the max. Your villa cook will probably cook the best meals --
go with her to a fruit/veg market, preferably a country market, not downtown MoBay--
for a real view inside island-life.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Tivertonhouse--just the info. I was looking for--thanks!

Mary