Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

DifferencebetweenHoletownTreasureBeachResortvs.Spe ightstownCoralReefClub)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in visiting Barbados this December: I am not too sure what the ambience in the vicinity of Holetown where The Treasure Beach Resort is versus Speightstown where the Coral Reef Club Resort is. I would love calm waters, nice beach but also places to wander around . Which resort is in walking distance of what? I did post a similiar thread on my clam waters/beach question. Thank you,
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM

We've stayed at both resorts. All west coast resorts are on calm waters.

Treasure Beach is located in the Paynes Bay area (same area where Sandy Lane is). It's a small resort that really caters to your every need. Nice pool area, watersports available, rooms are very nice - especially the suites that face the ocean. Not really walkable to much.

Coral Reef Club is very luxurious and a bit larger than Treasure Beach. Rooms are luxurious in the luxury cottage suite category. Others are very similar in style placed around the resort. Try for something closer to the sea (away from the road) to avoid any road noise.

Coral Reef is walkable into Holetown (10 minutes). There you will find lots of restaurant options and shops. Also, opening this December is the new Lime Grove Center with high end shops and also restaurants and cinemas. So in terms of wandering around, you'd have more wandering to do from this resort.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Lois: what do you think of renting a villa (more economical)-are there things with walking distance to shops? Sounds like there is very little activity in Speightown? Initially and probably still looking at this Schooner Bay which is very close to a town to do things in. Is there something similiar at Holetown? I thought Coral Reef was norht of Speightown and Treasure Beach near Holetown? Am I confused?
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:07 AM

Going north-to-south, there is Speightstown, then Coral Reef is over 2 miles south. Holetown is 1/2 mile south of Coral Reef, and Treasure Beach is over a mile south of Holetown. A villa somewhere between Paynes Bay and Coral Reef would be easy walking to Holetown. You can use Google Maps to see this, including photographic aerial views of the resorts/towns up close.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Schooner Bay is near Mullins Beach. There really is not much in Speightstown.

Xkenx has the locations correct.

I would look at www.bajanservices.com website and see locations of various villas. Villas are a great way to go -- we really love them. The villa people can let you know if various places are walkable to anything nearby.

There are several villas in the Gibbes Beach & Mullins Bay area.

It's easiest when you have a car that way you are not limited to just walking, although sometimes you want to do that.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

thank you. paynesday bay is south of treasure beach?
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 03:33 AM

Treasure Beach is at the south end of Paynes Bay Beach.