self guided bonefishing possible?

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
self guided bonefishing possible?

My husband and I are looking for a location that allows him to bonefish to his heart's content while I snorkel. Looks like that is possible in the Turks Caicos. Is there a specific location on Provo we should look at? We are thinking of renting a villa and coming with 2 other couples. The guys would flyfish, us gals would snorkel and beach stuff. We would rent a car. Target time is late April/early May of 2007. Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:00 PM

hi daisygirl, great snorkeling and bonefishing are definetly available on provo. i've have been 3 times to villas and always had a wonderful trip. without any clue about your budget i have a couple houses to suggest. they are all near turtle cove marina which has 6 restautants, dive shop and usually some cool large yachts to check out. you are approx 15 mins easy drive to the area where all the resorts, shops and dozens more restaurants.
houses are: turtle beach villa and villa sandstone both under www.northshorevillas.com , both Really close to excellent beach snorkeling at smiths reef. just down the beach (15 min walk) are www.bellasurmer.com with a nice pool and a house that was called windows ala mar is now www.atlanticoceanbeachvilla.com
i know next to nothing about bonefishing but there is good info at www.bonefishing.tc
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks virginia. We could do a villa and that seems to really appeal to us. We like to cook some for ourselves as well as check out the local restaurants. Some villas I have found online are interesting for sure. Is there a preferred side of the island in regards to more or less wind, views, beach type? I have done alot of reading online but need a bit more clarification. Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 06:11 AM

wind - the south side would normally be calmer.
view - grace bay is, as you prob know, voted one of most beautiful in world.
sand/beach type - on the southwest side are taylor and sopadilla bay beaches. both smaller with amazingly!! soft sand on taylor. there are a few rental houses on these beaches. taylor is extremely shallow and not great for swimming or snorkeling. sopadilla is less shallow so better for swimming. if you stayed on south side it would be appros 15 min drive to marina area or to the resorts area.
on the southeast coast is leeward beach. this is a residential area but has a dozen or so really nice villas available. this beach is a little rougher both sand and water but very beautiful and secluded.
back to grace bay. marina is at west end of beach. beach is narrower and drops off more quickly than in front of most of the resorts, which are in the center of the beach/island. shelling is good on the western end of grace bay. the other big snorkel spot is in front of coral gardens hotel which is approx mid-island.
we always take a huge cooler of food to the villas. we take steaks, chicken, premade appetizers, frozen juice cans, butter, etc. we save money and time shopping - although the grocery is very complete (just pricey). provo has a lot of outstanding restaurants. after you have settled on a house use the search box above to find out about them.
malcolm road beach is on the west end. very secluded, rough road to drive to, outstanding snorkeling, NO services unless you make a lunch reservation at amanyara ($$$$$) so take loads of water and everything elso you might need.
here is a link to the best map of provo i've found on line: http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm
just an fyi - i would choose to go more in may time frame rather than april, when the water (and air) temps may be a smidge cooler.
once you narrow down your villa choices i may be able to give you some more specific info about the individual houses and their location.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Virginia for your expertise!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 03:46 PM

The best snorkeling off the beach is at Coral Gardens and Smith's Reef. There are some beautiful villas in that area. (Look for Turtle Cove.)
As for bonefishing, there are flats, and you do have to get a fishing liscense. ($30) It's hard to go to the areas where the bonefish are, you will definately need a car for that.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Try researching the bone fishing side here:

http://reel-time.com/forum/index.php?