short flight and clear water?

Aug 16th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

short flight and clear water?

hey, this is my first post here. my girlfriend and i are planning a long weekend (thursday to sunday) to the islands. we can leave from either phila or newark or nyc....we do not know where to go?! early december or late november works best for us. we are in our late 20's....we drink a bit but dont plan on 4am nights, we are adventurous but dont plan on climbing mountains on our trip, we like nice places but dont plan on paying 15 bucks for a drink or 20 bucks for an omlette...

price isnt really an issue but it def is a factor. ive looked online (expedia....and before you bash them i feel comfortable with that site, i personally used them over a dozen times and every time was fine. no mix-ups, delays, confusions...) just want to get the most bang for my buck.

i think we are leaning towards negril jamaica. i can leave philly at 6am and be in montego bay at 930 and on the beach by 11. that sounds ok to me. there are some nice deals on expedia...even nice deals if we decide on montego bay. the ritz carlton has a deal 579 per person air and hotel and taxes for 3ntes and 4 days....just saying there are decent deals there....

punta cana has some nice resorts but there are connecting flights and we wont be get to resort til late afternoon on thursday and we want a full day! lol...

turks and caicos has the same scenario....nothing direct and afternoon arrival...

aruba has some direct flights but its a 5 hr flight from philly....and 5 hour flight for 3 nights seems a lil much....again we want to get a full beach day in on thursday even if we need to catch a 5am flight lol....

any help??
Aug 16th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Hi, love Negril my husband and I have been exploring for the last three years in the month of February. The weather has been perfect 82 -85 and nights 76. The beaches are great in Negril and I have never felt threatened by the beach vendors appraching you. They definelty are polite and except, "No thank you" as an answer that you are not interested. Rick's is a fun place with great sunsets, the boat cruises are excellent also, but if you are looking to chill by all means enjoy! I have stayed in some of the worst and some of the best family owned resorts and have also booked through Expedia, Orbitz for some of the best all inclusives.
Aug 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Check into Grand Cayman
Aug 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM

i opened this post to say "Negril Jamaica" and see that's one you are considering. but you won't be on the beach by 11am from a 9:30 arriving flight. Customs/immigrations at Santander usually takes at least an hour (depending how many flights arrive at the same time) and the ride out to Negril is at least 90 mins.

i have also been to the Dominican Republic twice (puerto plata not the resorts a punta cana) and most definitely recommend Negril instead!

If you have any questions, post them here. I just got back from 10 days in Negril in July. What hotels or resorts are you looking at? On the Cliffs or on the Beach??
Aug 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM

I love Negril, too, ( have been a repeat visitor there for over 25 years), but the weather in late November/early December can be iffy. The few times we've visited at that time there's been a lot more rain and clouds than later in the season ( mid-January-April).
Aug 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Like I said I was just there... in the summer (which is rainy season). It was incredibly hot and humid. We had a downpour a few times. But there was also plenty of sun and beach time.

If Nov/Dec weather is "iffy" in Jamaica, isn't that the same for all the other Caribbean islands too?

You might also check flights to the Mayan Riviera (the Caribbean coast of Mexico). Weather there is great those months. You could fly into Cancun and head to either Isla Mujeres or Playa del Carmen.
Aug 18th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Actually, yes, we've also been in St John, Nevis, Barbados, Puerto Rico and Cayman in late Nov/early December and had so-so weather. The weather is generally much more reliable later in the winter season. Best bet for better weather in Nov/December is Aruba, but it's not really one of my favorite islands.
Aug 18th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

i know that hotels have their off season but the Ritz Carlton in rose hall offers 540 per person for flight and 3 nights stay for an all inclusive. after a 3 hr flight i like the idea of getting to my hotel sooner rather then later. however im reluctant to book because some way that seems to good to be true...the ritz all inclusive for 540 per person flight and 3 nights?!?! i know its off season but i expect to get there and the all inclusive package is very limited and only allows beer and bagels haha...comfort my concerns people lol...if i did choose the ritz in rose hall will i get raped with extra fees bla bla...

ive done all inclusive before and dont mind the idea. my girlfriend isnt really the adventurous type...doesnt like street food and probably would get sick on an excursion that would put her in a car for over a half hour lol...

thats why i am looking at montego bay and not negril. its closer to the airport and although the beach may not be as nice as negril, the beach will surely be nicer then the jersey shore (my back yard)
Aug 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM

I wouldn't go to Jamaica, if I had to go to Montego Bay.
Aug 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Have you been to Jamaica before? If your girlfriend is a 'delicate flower' type, even arriving Santander is going to be a bit of a culture shock. MoBay is a rough place and could well be kinda scary for her. I guess if you really want to go & never step foot outside the resort, just to & from the airport AND you arrange a private driver *maybe* it would be alright.
I also would be suspicious of such a low price.
Aug 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

i wouldnt say delicate flower priss type...i mean she has more of a sensitive stomach...literally...car sickness and street food wouldnt be her cup of tea....the sights and sounds would not turn her off...we want a vacay away....beach, drinks, sleep, repeat! we wont have an agenda full of ziplines and hiking...
Aug 18th, 2010, 06:24 PM

ok but i still think it's worth going to Negril, if you go to Jamaica.
Aug 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Negril, hands down. Friendly. Clear water. White sand beaches...miles of that.... wish I was there now...headed back for Christmas and NY.
Aug 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM
KVR

We've been to Negril in a November. We went the week after Thanksgiving due to getting a good price, but he hotel was packed. The weather was very good and we enjoyed going off property to the waterfalls.

If you can go for 5 days of more Expedia has a coupon code of "entpackage100" or "entpackage50". Can't guarentee that it will work as it was givin to me, but you can try.

We have booked our annual trip to Mexico (Playa del Carmen) for Dec. 6. I used Orbitz. Their coupon code is 75ORBITZ for $75 off a pacakge. Here's a sight for some addtional coupon codes you can try on Orbitz:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/orbitz.com

I agree with the comments about Montego Bay. If you chose Jamaica spend the extra time to get to Negril. It is so worth it.