Reload this Page >

Did I make a wrong choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM
irish13girl

I just booked a 5day 4night vacay at Sandals Resort in Ocho Rios for the end of September. I did not consult Fodor's until after purchasing. Has anyone had a great experience? I am starting to regret my decision.

Kindly,
Tiffany

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this point, don't worry about whether you made a wrong choice. The decision is made and you are highly likely to have a wonderful time.

That particular Sandals doesn't get much talk on this board, but you can do a search here for a poster named kimberly who is our resident Sandals expert. I believe she has been to all of them, some of them multiple times. Search for her posts and read them, and you will likely feel much reassured.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:55 AM
iw

I agree with ej....once the decision is made, decide to have a great time, as well. Your vacation will be all that you make of it, so have a ball!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 08:04 AM

If you venture/and you should outside the resort, the following places may be very rewarding. RESTAURANTS: Cafe Aubergine in Monegue, 20 min. drive into mts (check their Web site); Evita's in Ochie, casual and fun;Toscanini at Harmony Hall, just outside the city for both food/drinks and a great art gallery; Waasi art pottery/quite pricey but unique;Cranbrook Flower Forest/great botanical garden; Firefly, Noel Coward's mountaintop house in Grant's Town/Port Maria. Hire a good guide,not a taximan and NOT a tour bus guide from Sandals (Barrett Adventures, is one a a handful of good ones) and explore beyond the craftmarket/cruiseship port downtown.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Cafe Aubergine is in Moneague/can never spell that right/ on Route 43 from Ocho Rios, passing thru Fern Gully -- about 20 miles up into mts.
High style French-Jamaican, great location and nothing like it in Ochie.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:28 AM
irish13girl

Thank you all so much for your generous and encouraging words!

I hope you are all having a wonderul weekend!

Cheers,
Tiffany

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM

We have been to Sandals Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril. Ocho Rios was our favorite by far...the staff was so attentive and we were treated like royalty (and we weren't in a real high level room.)
Definetly eat at Valentino's if you enjoy Italian food, it's very hard to get reservations but worth it.
We enjoyed the bar and it's attached deck beside the bayside restaurant and the TV lounge.
If you have any questions about the resort, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
We're headed to Sandals Dunns River on October 14 but we will be spending some time over at the Ocho resort. Can't wait!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:01 AM

We stayed there in March - wonderful trip. We were in the villas, which worked out great for us. The privacy was a big selling point. The shuttle to the beach ran conastantly, so that was really not an issue unless you are one who conastantly runs back to your room. The fitness center on the beach side is larger than the one on the great house side. The pool at the great house is the biggest and most active. The restaurants are on both sides, and it is actually fun to ride the shuttle. There are some pretty energetic groups that travel together that are quite entertaining on the ride ( and during the wait for the ride, which is never very long). I would go again in an instant. Feel free to ask any questions!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:02 AM

Tiffany, go to www.tropictravelonline.com as this is a site mostly for Sandals repeat guests and you will get good information here. We have had 16 Sandals trips but none to Ochos Rios or Dunns.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:24 AM
irish13girl

THank you again for all your wonderful suggestions! I feel much better about booking this trip!

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

Cheers,
Tiffany