Curtain Bluff in Antigua

Search

Curtain Bluff in Antigua

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curtain Bluff in Antigua

I posted the other day about where to stay for the second half of our stay in Antigua (the first half is at Jolly Beach where my friend's wedding is). Anyway, we are now leaning towards Curtain Bluff. I have one question - are the wines included? Their wine list is amazing and my husband and I are huge wine afficionados. The AI package says bar drinks are included, but says nothing of the wines.
Any other info you could give on this resort would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:41 AM

CB probably has the best wine cellar in islands, not included in AI price. After Jolly Beach you might find the not inconsiderable attitude at CB offputting since you're not a regular.
The regulars tend to be Biff and Muffy types. The rather insufferable owners tend to ignore newcomers entirely.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 09:57 AM

I've never stayed at CB, but based on the reviews I've read, only some of their wines are included in the price and the finer wines are a la carte.

Curtain Bluff is most frequently compared to a tropical but posh country club, with all of the positives or negatives that entails, depending on one's point of view. It has an amazing ratio of guests who are repeat clients, but some newcomers to the place find it a little too clubbish. I imagine that in the off-season there might be less of a clubbish feel to it. Folks who have been going there for ages clearly love it; some folks who've tried it in recent years think it might be resting a bit too much on its laurels. It used to have the reputation of one of the finest hotels in the Caribbean.

If I didn't already have a place to stay in Antigua that feels like family, I might be inclined to try CB in the off season. And the hotel has a long history of giving back to its local comminity, which is certainly a plus in my book.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:44 PM

When I think of Curtain Bluff, I think of 'Upson Downs' in Patrick Denis' 'Auntie Mame'.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 03:51 PM

We stayed at Curtain Bluff last year and loved it. Service, food, accomodations, beach, snorkeling are all excellent. We were there over Valentine's Day, and they had a party at the beach restaurant with beluga caviar and Perrier-Jouet champagne along with lots of other goodies and a great local band. Dinner includes a choice of good house wines each evening, but ordering off the wine list (huge selection)is extra. Would be pleased to answer any other questions you have.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:18 PM

Hello Mel1974! If I were you I would seriously consider the BLUE WATERS resort in Antigua. It is a beautiful place and will save you money also. Go to www.bluewaters.net to check it out. Good luck!!!