Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Thinking of trying an all-inclusive, any suggestions as to the best ones? I have heard may pros and cons about AI's,

Search

Thinking of trying an all-inclusive, any suggestions as to the best ones? I have heard may pros and cons about AI's,

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of trying an all inclusive resort next spring, I know people either love em or hate em. I would like to hear from some people with first hand knowlege of the best AI our there. What do you think of Sandals VS Couples VS Sans Souci? Service is definetely at the top of the list, but so are food, pool and beach areas.
Looking for all opinions good and bad.
Thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:41 AM

Hi Trease,

My husband and I had never stayed at an AI, however with this particular trip, because his work had been SO very busy, we really thought this time an AI was right up our alley.

We just wanted everything easy. Sun, relaxation, not to have to think about anything but enjoying each other, and escaping our snowy state.

We stayed at Grand Lido Negril in Jamaica.

PROS:
Easy indeed, very low maintenance.
Lovely, clean resort.
VERY friendly staff, very genuine. Fresh food, they changed it the menu every day. We knew going in we might be a bit bored with the food as we have been lucky enough to experience very fine dining, but we were fine with it, maybe by day 10 we were done with it, but it really did take that long. It was so nice to just throw a swimsuit cover on, and go in from the pool to have a little lunch. It was always fresh and good. You know you basic buffets, but I am really picky about food being fresh, and it always was good.
Rooms were lovely and well-appointed.
Room service was nice and included in your rate. I believe it was 24 room service.
Pool area was nice, not too crowded and right off the ocean, beach was nice too.

CONS: The only thing I can think of and I really had to sit here for a minute was the wine. This was not a big issue for us as we are not huge drinkers. However we do enjoy a glass of good wine, and the only time we had a good bottle was in their special 'reservations only restaurant' that you can only go to once during your stay. We had great wine there, the rest of the time we just had something else, the wine was not to our liking. But again, this was not a huge issue for us.

Trease, while I would not want to travel to an AI all the time, during this time in our lives it was perfect. My Dad had just passed away two months earlier after losing his battle with cancer and my now husband and I just wanted to be away and be together.

I'll try to look for my trip report for you, it was a little over two years ago.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions for you.

Have fun! Tiff
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM

p.s. Oh, one more thing I wanted to mention to you Trease, is how much privacy you had, the guests just kind of kept to themselves, and the staff was there to assist but not in your face.

I had read reviews on other resorts and one of the biggest complaints I read was people upset because the staff was always bugging them, very cheesy stuff like announcing over megaphones for games and whatnot.
We didn't have ANY of that at this AI. They were very respectful.

This was a crowd that was not the party type atmosphere and that is exactly what we wanted. It was quieter, varied ages, but quiet.

That may help you make your decision. The atmosphere for our resort was not stuffy, nice people, but everyone kind of did there own thing.

No drunk pool parties going on, if youa re the type that likes to stay up all night, this may not be the resort for you.

Just let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tiff,
Your Vacation there sounds just like what I needed last month. As my dad had just passed away from cancer also.
We ended up going to Hilton Head for a week and did nothing but relax and sun.
Went there because it was within driving distance, as I was not ready to deal with airlines.
That is when we discuused the possiblity of an all inclusive next year just to give it a try. We are not
partiers. Actually we do not care for crowds but are willing to try something different. Does the Grand Lido do only Buffets? We enjoy fine dining too, but I don't have to have it all the time, infact somtimes its nice just to have somthing simple. Your discription sounds like a possiblity, is their a reason you chose that one over another?
Thanks
T.
PS I love my wine also as that is what I do for a living but..hey not big deal sometimes.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM

My wife and I have only been to two AI's. One in Playa del Carmen, Mexico and once to "Couples Negril" on Jamaica. We felt the food was much better at Couples. We were there seven nights and never got bored with the food. The wine was not the best but their other liqour was very good. Good scotch, vodka, rum, and gin.
The beach is one of the best in the carribean.
We were there in April and just booked a return trip for August 8th. Can't wait!!

dewars
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM

Going with an AI is certainly a personal choice. I think the pros of AI is you get a better deal costwise and you know what you're getting without any worries. The cons of AI is you don't have the opportunity, or if you can get over paying for something and not using it, is to sample the local restaurants and engage in the local scene and have some variety.

Entirely depends on what type of traveller you are, if you prefer the comforts without worries go AI, if you're more adventurous go non-AI.

But most of all, happy travels.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Hi again Trease,

First, I am sorry about your Dad, too. It is very difficult to see someone you love so dearly in pain. I hope you find strength, peace, and comfort.

To answer your question, I think the deciding factor for us was just an overall reading of multiple reviews and going forth from there. You can get a feel for what type of crowd goes to what type of resort, and then just do a match from there. Grand Lido fit our needs.

Ironically, my husband and I have also been to Hilton Head and LOVED it. Sounds like we have similar needs when traveling.

As far as other restaurants, as I recall, they did have an Italian restaurant, and the reservation only and I think one more.

Here is their site: www.grandlidonegril.com

I have also used many times www.tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews, they are plentiful.

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful time, you will find the resort that best suits your needs, just read a lot of reviews and go from there.

Best wishes to you, Trease.

>- Tiff
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 07:11 AM

The biggest cons to AI's, in my opinion, haven't been mentioned yet, and they have nothing to do with the quality of the holiday experience for the individual traveller.

Rather, is the reality of the facts that (with a few exceptions):

(1) resorts clearcut the beaches and replace natural shade-giving trees such as almonds and palms with artificial structures that don't "dirty up" the beach with leaves and seeds. This practice leads to beach erosion.

(2) beaches and hotel property are off-limits to locals...this leads to a 'them and us' environment and tensions between the locals and tourists.

(3) job opportunities and training for locals are generally confined to lower level work (grounds maintenance, chambermaid, restaurant/bar). Management jobs are mostly restricted to the non-local employees of the international corporation that owns and runs the resort chain.

(4) Because most resorts are owned internationally, the profits go offshore and do not provide an ongoing benefit to the local economy.

For these reasons, I would encourage people to avoid internationally owned or chain resorts and look for an option that is locally owned and operated. You might be surprised !