Notices

Culebra or Vieques

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Culebra or Vieques

We will be traveling in June 2008 with 2 college age boys. We only have time for Culebra or Vieques? Which one do you prefer? We like to snorkel and adveture. If I skip Vieques can I do night bio bay somewhere else? Help I can't make up my mind?
Thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:06 PM

I was planning a trip to Vieques in may. (regrettably I cancelled) but the research I did on Vieques has got it my vote. It is supposed to have excellent snorkeling, and it has the bio bay. I've seen pics of that, and that alone would get my vote. There are also some nice, affordable hotels in the area. There is a hotel there I think it is called Bannanas? The staff was very friendly when I called, and they answered all of my questions. I'm thinking about visiting next year, so please make sure to give a trip report!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM

Culebra is much more quiet than Vieques. As you will be traveling with college age boys, I think Vieques would be a better choice. The are a few lively bars in Esperanza and they will find kids their age to talk to.
There is the bio bay, which is not to miss, some great snorkel/kayak guides.
I have not found the snorkeling as wonderful as I have in the VI's, but is is adequate.
There is a bio bay on the main island, but have heard it does not compare to Vieques.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Vieques. There will be more beaches to visit and as mentioned more places for your kids to hang out. Just make sure you rent a vehicle so you can visit all of the beautiful beaches.

We missed bio bay due to a hurricane nearby but everything I read and heard said it was much better than the one on the main island.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Agreed Vieques is my choice as well. I was just figuring out what to do with my long weekend, and decided that I would be disappointed if i went anywhere else in PR, esp for the beaches and the biobay.

Depending on how much time you have, you could also do both, although to be honest culebra was just about some pretty beaches and a day trip to culebrita.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM

I agree that Vieques if probably the better choice in your case but I have to disagree with the statement that "Culebra was about some pretty beaches and a day trip to Culebrita"- to each his own but we had a great time in Culebra for 6 nights last year. We snorkeled in about 6 or 7 different locations, hiked, took boat trips, drove up and down almost every road exploring, visited beaches and enjoyed the local people and cuisine.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM

We loved Vieques -- beautiful beaches and great snorkeling. You can do the night biobay in Fajardo, which is very nice and a great trip. We actually thought that both Fajardo and Vieques biobays looked similar. The primary difference is that it takes about an hour of paddling to get to the Fajardo biobay, while the Vieques biobay paddling is much less. On Vieques, you can swim in the biobay; at Fajardo, you can't.

If you go to Vieques, definitely do Abe's All in One BioBay Tour. This was a fantastic way to spend the day, the kayaking wasn't too strenuous, and the mangroves are beautiful in the daylight.