would PR be a good choice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just posted earlier, but didn't left out some details. I can't get a handle on Puerto Rico from my research... safety, beach cleanliness, etc. We don't want to be in the city or high rises. I'd like to go to the rainforest and out to Vieques for snorkelling with kids. Possibly split a week long April vacation between the 2. We're coming from Indianapolis. Any suggestions on places to stay, there or other islands? I'd like to spend around $300 or so per night. I'd rather stay for a shorter time if a more expensive place is really worth the money. Thanks so much for your advice!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:32 AM

Well, I will give you part of an answer. I spent two nights in PR, but in San Juan. Flying over the island was amazing, it was very hilly and seemed lush. I didn't go into the ocean and was in the city. I would definately go back. I did PriceLine and got a good deal and if you go to one of the bidding sites you might find some hotels that will give you a nice value in the PR. I felt safe near the Intercontinental, but didn't wander far. I did take a $18 cab to Old Town. Vieques looks very interesting, I'm sure someone on this board has been there!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM

Flying from Indianapolis to PR is easy, since there are direct flights with almost every major airline in every major city (i.e. Chicago, New York, Boston, Dallas, Miami, etc.)

You could definetely split a week in PR between Wyndham El Conquistador in Fajardo (near El Yunque) and the Starwood Martineau Bay in Vieques. Your kids will definetely enjoy El Conquistador since there are activities, a camp for kids and snorkeling. The beach is also wonderful: it's on a private island and the hotel provides the complimentary ride to/from the resort. I live in PR and I visit El Conquistador once a year. It is one of my favorite resorts in the world.

The Starwood Martineau Bay is gorgeous. The hotel is on Vieques island, where you will not find a big city feel to it. The beaches are amazing and very clean. The snorkeling is also amazing.

I'm sure that if you google these resorts you will find tons of information. You can also visit www.travelandsports.com and get information on Vieques, Fajardo (where el Conquistador is) and El Yunque.

Hope this helps. Enjoy Puerto Rico!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
ccc

Our whole family loves Vieques. In betwen the Biobay, the wild horses, and the unbelievable beaches, it's an amazing destinations. Given that you have children, you might want to consider renting a house. You can find alot more information at www.enchanted-isle.com (or I would be happy to answer more questions).
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the great advice. I'll follow your ideas for my next round of research. I headed off on Mexico- Akumal, Solimon Bay due to airfare options. I'll get back on PR! Thanks.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM

We just came back from a week in the countryside of North Western Puerto Rico. We spent New Years at Villa Montana Resort outside Isabela (www.villamontana.com) and even though I was skeptical at first when told the surroundings were safe there, I have to agree they were. I have spent a lot of time in the North East, around San Juan in particular, always with a slight worry in the back of my head in regards to the many robberies and the violence, but I can honestly say that the area around Villa Montana made me feel very comfortable and safe. We took daily strolls along the beach, up to 3 miles in either direction, always meeting women jogging alone, elderly couples walking hand in hand, moms with babies relaxing in the shade, even in the most secluded areas. So I am not alone in considering the surroundings non-threatening there. It is a surfers' paradise, so the waves can be quite rough in certain spots, but the coral reef offers some protection and big flat rocks close to the beautiful sandy beach form little protected pools, which are perfect splash pools and jumping playgrounds for the kids. Our favorite beach was a secluded stretch surrounded by wilderness which had both caves and palm trees for shade (can't recall what it is called right now, but it was a 30 minute walk from Villa Montana). One thing the countryside of Puerto Rico lacks is the pretty architecture of the smaller islands of the Eastern Caribbean. Most houses in P.R. are nothing but cement boxes, lacking the charm and personality of the pretty, fairytale-like wooden gingerbread houses of the Lesser Antilles. We did not find the town of Isabela interesting at all either, and the area around Route 2 is not exactly picturesque -- depressing American urban sprawl type development. But a short drive on 111 southwest brings you to romantic little towns and villages, with iron-clad balconies overlooking narrow streets and tiny squares with a pretty church as a jewel in the center. There is a beautiful forest in the mountains 15-20 minutes driving from the beach, with caves and amazing trails thought the dense tropical forest and wild citrus and mango trees. I definitely recommend this area, especially if you are traveling with kids.