p.r for the month of june

Mar 11th, 2000, 11:39 AM
Carolee

p.r for the month of june

a friend and i are heading to puerto rico for 3 weeks in june. is this enough time to explore the entire island and maybe some smaller islands. looking for ideas for inexpensive lodging and suggestions for places to practice speaking spanish, ie: language schools. thanks

Mar 12th, 2000, 05:15 AM
Diane

It is a perfect amount of time. You should contact the Puerto Rico Tourism group for their materials...and plot your trip leaving some "flexibility" for when you find a spot you really like. You may want to save San Juan for the end of your trip, because it is very different from the rest of the island. Rent a car and drive South (probably the best road you'll have so you may want to start out with that trip!) to Ponce for a couple of days. It is a nice size, lovely city with a beautiful seaside. I liked the whole Southwestern section of the island, and there are many inexpensive paradores to stay in, with fabulous locations. We found Boqueron was extremely enjoyable. There is a good bit of bilingual English/Spanish on the island, and it is a great place to practice Spanish. One trip you should definately plan is to the island of Vieques, off the East coast of P.R. for a visit to the bio-luminscent bay. It is one of the top five in the world, with the others being located in China. Wear your swimsuits for this night-time experience. You'll never forgive yourself if you don't! (They even provide life-jackets so you don't have to be a super-swimmer). Stay in Esperanza at one of the guest-houses -- very economical. There is a lot of info on this site -- do a search on Puerto Rico and you'll find several trip reports.

Mar 12th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Jay

Diame is absolutely correct. My wife and I recently returned from a 17-day PR vacation and loved every minute of it. Both Vieques and the Southwest are special experiences. The Karst formations in the Northwest, along with the Camuy caves, are likewise worth seeing. All in all, it's a remarkable island.

For what it's worth, we rented our car from L&M and found them to be extremely helpful.

Finally, make sure you try some mofongo at, either, the Anchor Inn in Fajardo or the Restaurante El Pescador in Boqueron, and be sure to taste the Mango/Pineapple Gespacho at La Campesina (Vieques).

Have fun!

Sep 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Diane, I am looking at a long weekend, maybe four nights for the non touristic experience and an escape alone without kids and hubby. If one spot out of San Juan or if this is the spot, being san juan, please advise. Thanks!
Sep 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM

You've replied to an 8-year-old post ... there's no telling if you'll get an answer.

San Juan is a good place to get away ... especially if you're alone.

There are many resorts in the Isla Verde / Condado area to choose from. Or you can head to Dorado, or Rio Grande (Gran Melia or Wyndham Rio Mar), or Fajardo (El Conquistador) for more resorts.

Start looking there for places to stay.

If you're looking for things to do during your stay take a look at our travel guide -- www.PuertoRicoDayTrips.com

Hope this helps!