Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any Belize experts on the caribbean board?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
owa

Hi, I have a Delta ticket that has to be used this fall. I'm thinking of Belize. We have never been and I know not too much. I do know we have to take a boat to go snorkeling. I've just started researching areas and I will go to the SA section. I just thought if any of you have been and can suggest areas or lodging, it would give me a place to start. StanKase, if I remember, you have been there. I'm looking to go the end of October for two weeks. Thanks, Owa

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are into diving or fishing, I highly recommend Turneffe Island Lodge. It's a secluded small family-style resort on a 16-acre island about 45 minutes or so from Belize City. Some of the best diving and fishing you'll find in all of Belize. Of course, if you don't dive or fish, there's not much else to do on this island - extremely secluded and no t.v.s.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Have been to Belize twice, both times starting in Ambergris Caye. The first was a land-based trip (Ramon's Village), and the second a bareboat sailing charter. Ambergris Caye is pretty much the area of Belize with the most tourism infrastructure, but still pretty laid-back compared to much of the Caribbean (and yes, Belize is bordered by the Caribbean Sea, and the official language is English, so while you're likely to find advice on the Latin America board, you are not wrong to seek advice here!)

We loved both of our trips -- especially the seclusion afforded us by sailing the cayes -- but have been a bit alarmed by the increase in cruise ship activity in the region (and the messes they seem to leave behind). Belize is one of the last, great secrets in the Caribbean, and I always encourage those who have an interest to go NOW.

What makes Belize unique is the huge range of activities available to the visitor. You've got the reef, you've got the jungle, and you've got Mayan ruins and hundreds of years of history. All in a pocket-sized package that is still affordable, with a local population that is welcoming and friendly. While the beaches are nothing to get excited about, there's a whole lot more to Belize than the beach.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM

We stayed at the Jaguar Reef Lodge in Hopkins, Stann Creek District. Loved it. It is an adventure lodge and is off the beaten path of tourism. It sits on the the Caribbean with the rain forest at its back door. If you want more upscale, it's sister lodge is Almond Beach Resort. There are high luxury condos next door called Belizean Dreams.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM

We spent one day there off a cruise ship. I can't say much or contribute a great deal. We did go snorkeling and from what I hear it is a divers/snorkels dream . We did go out on a snorkely expedition. It was at a reef about 45 minutes from the city. It was very good. We enjoyed our tour. We then went to a great beach. I did notice the water didn't seem blue/turquiose as other islands. Maybe it was just the sun or lack of it--not sure which.(or me.)
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM
owa

Thank you all for responding. I'm finding that researching Belize is going to take some time, but it will be fun. There are so many possibilities!! Our main goal is to snorkel as much as possible. Thanks again, Owa

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM

owa: How are you? If you are planning an early 2008 trip Lighthouse Reef Resort will be open after a 1 million+ dollar renovation and upscaling of the property. we went 2 times in 2001 and 2003 and loved it. All units have A/C and it is the farthest atoll out (60 miles from Belize City and the nearest to the Blue Hole a "Wonder of the World" for divers and snorkeling.It was upscale rustic before but now they tell me it will be upscale but at moderate prices compared to the Caribbean. It is not a Caneel or Little Dix but the seclusion is to "die for".
We plan to return in March-April 2008.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
owa

Thanks Stankase. I have to say after days of research I'm not so sure Belize is for us. I knew we'd have to take a boat to snorkel. It looks like it would be $60/PP to be taken out to the reef for a couple hours. That is not a lot of snorkeling for us.
St. John, Bonaire, Culebra, and Vieques have spoiled us with the ease of driving to a beach to snorkel within minutes. I'll keep looking. Fall is months away. Owa

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:20 AM

owa; If it is Fall'07 then Lighthouse will not have re-opened. But, at Lighthouse just for future referene theydo not charge to take yo out for 60-90 minutes to spots 1/2-1 miles off shore. Also, the amazing Blue Hole trip is also in the all inclusive rate so you can snorkel every day as art of te rate. When it re-opens my guess is it will be $2000/person FAP including the flight out to the resort. They rent a Tropic Air plane around 4 PM each Sat. going out but return around 7 AM the following Sat.so you have a few hours before return to US. There are several non-stops to Newark and Houston.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:42 AM
owa

Stankase, Thanks for the information about the Lighthouse. Sounds good to me, and I think I will wait until it reopens. I'm now leaning towards a week in Curacao (we've never been) and a week in Bonaire. At this stage in our lives, we want to snorkel as much as possible. Do you have other trips planned before '08? Owa

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:03 AM

Owa,

I LOVE snorkeling as well. Let me know which places you have been and liked. We have also gone to Turks and Caicos Islands and perhas you can look into the Grand Caymans. Just some alternative choices. Let us know where you decide upon.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:40 AM
owa

diann, Click on my screen name and you will see my trip reports from various snorkeling trips we have taken. The last one was to Culebra and Vieques. Owa

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Owa, Have you been to Grand Cayman? Great snorkeling there (fav spot is between the Cayman Kai Sea Lodges and Rum Point in the Cayman Kai area). It's almost as good as Bonaire. Don't know how it compares to the other islands you mentioned.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 04:49 PM

owa; The snorkeling on the WEST END of Curacao in the 5-7 beaches is good to very good. The best we foud nn the ABC's. Bonaire used to be great but Hurricane Mitch really ripped up Bonaire and much of it's coral in 5-205 ft. of water in our trip.
The West Endt is your best bet for off the beach snorkeling!!. You might want to check my comments on the Curacao thread for some details.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 02:03 AM
owa

LvSun, yes we have been to the Caymans. It wasn't one of our favorites.

StanKase, I already looked at your past trip report. I remembered you had given tips so I went looking. Thanks, Owa

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 07:56 AM
owa

Just an update to all of you that gave me help in early '07.

First, we leave Sunday for 8 nights on St. John with our family of 10. Celebrating our 50th anniversary. We are all very excited.

I gave up on Belize for the fall. We are instead going to Curacao and Bonaire for a week each in October. First time to Curacao, second to Bonaire. I am using my Delta ticket for this trip

I decided to give Belize another look for January. Frequent Flyer seats this time. Sixteen days. I have spent hours researching. I found a jungle resort near San Ignacio that I think we will like. I told the lodge what tours I wanted to do. They were great. I want a two day trip to Tikal to stay overnight by the entrance in order to take the sunrise tour. Then we will go to Caye Caulker and San Pedro. We are staying in an inexpensive house on CC in order to offset the snorkeling trip costs (I remarked to my husband that we are spending thousands on this family trip to St. John only to go on the cheap for ourselves. Anyone else do this?)
When I looked at the prices for staying on one of the atolls, I didn't think taking a boat trip to snorkel for $60 dollars was so awful. By the way Stan, I was told at this time it is totally uncertain when Lighhouse is going to reopen.

I enjoyed the research this time. I don't know what my problem was earlier this year. Owa

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM

owa; I found out based on their website that you are correct about lighthouse Reek. It is a shame for it was very good in terms of snorkeling, diving, accommodations were basoc but with A/C and clean and pretty good food. I think the way the the site reads it may not open in the near future. To be franl Turneffe is a better choice than Chaulker in our opinion. Not a dramatic difference but better having been to both since 2000.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM

I have a follow-up question for the experts -
I have a trip for my husband and I narrowed down to Almond Beach in Hopkins village and White Sands Cove in Ambergis Caye.
I wanted some beach time/ snorkling but also a little adventure... I am concerned that with Hopkins there won't be much to do once the sun goes down.

Any suggestions or thougts, I would love - this is a suprise trip in late May.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM

We just returned from 9 days in Hamanasi Resort in Hopkins, belize. Also, Lighthouse Reef is not opening after all the talk that it would before 1/1/08.
Hamanasi was very nice. Of the 4 places we stayed at in Roatan and Belize with Lighthouse out of the running I would say Roatan best for ovrall family snorkel and diving but no beach to speak of. Food is fair to good considering it's remoteness. Hamanasi food ius very good, much to our surprise. Hamanasi snorkeling gets the edge over the others and diving about equal to Roatan. Accommodations a small step up at Hamanasi from Roatan otr Ambergis resort, forgot name it was 8-9 years ago.Staff at Hamanasi is first rate with Anthony's Key (Roatan) a close second. Price for a week witin $100-$150+/- of each other.We had a good breeze at Hamanasi so less mosquitos but we may just hae gotten lucky.