Search

Cruise in the Caribean

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise in the Caribean

Wondered what happened on board the NCL Norweigean Dawn a few weeks ago with the 70 foot wave. Last year we took this cruise to the Bahamas and we're shocked at the news of the hugh wave. I would love to hear from someone that was on board or knows someone who was there. Just curious and wondered if we should cruise again in the future.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:42 AM

old news. no biggie. few broken windows and some upset folks. looks like based on reports it was captain error but who know. could happen to any ship. have you quit flying and/or driving because of crashes or wrecks?
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM

We were on a transatlantic cruise at the time when the seventy foot wave hit that ship we were still in the Gulf. The Atlantic was like a pond, slick as glass the whole way over on our crossing. We saw it on CNN, and the people that they interviewed. You have to realize that to make it on TV you have to be one of the most upset/dramatic, just like most of the time here in Florida when a hurricane hits. My thoughts are that if as I understand it the 70 foot wave hit at 6 in the morning apparently the crew on board had taken proper safety precautions or there would have been someone on deck that would have gone overboard. However, I could be completely mistaken. I enjoyed my cruise and the seventy foot wave that had hit the other ship was little more than dinner conversation among the passengers.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Actually as I understood the news reports of the ship (as it docked back in NYC the home port), there was a crewman swept overboard and lost at sea. I have not heard an updated information about that.

It seems that the storm was a bad one off shore and that is why the huge waves.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM

The news reports I saw here in NY didn't mention anything about any lost crew members. They actually knew the wave was coming and steered the ship into the wave, so I'm sure all people were inside when it actually hit.