Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any Overwater Bungalows in the Caribbean? Looking for cheaper options than Bora Bora

Search

Any Overwater Bungalows in the Caribbean? Looking for cheaper options than Bora Bora

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live in NY, so it would be great to find a place in the Caribbean w/ overwater bungalows. Please help!
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 11:06 PM

They are found in the Maldives (at the "Maldives Hilton" - VERY pricy though - as well as a couple of additional Maldives locations ), Panama (at the "Punta Caracol Resort" - the nearest place I know of to the Caribbean that has OW units), the Philippines (at the "El Nido Lagen Island Resort&quot, and Independent (not American) Samoa (at the "Coconuts Beach Resort&quot and there's even a few "partially overwater" bungalows at the "Aitutaki Pearl Beach Resort" (now once again known as the "Aitutaki Lagoon Resort&quot in the Cooks.

You might want to look into the Panama location. Near to where you are looking and with a decent price. Coconuts in Amercian Samoa is also fairly reasonably priced.

Ken

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:00 AM

Punta Caracol, Bocas del Toro, Panama.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:45 AM

look into 9beaches in bermuda.....www.9beaches.com....they have over water bungalows...
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Sunnyboy

Overwater bungalows are few and far between in the Caribbean. I bel;ieve the reincarnated Raffels Resorts on Canouan in the Grenadines has 2 at their reort (but at last resport they may not actually be open to guests) and you'll find them at Cayo Espanto in Belize. As others have pointed out, your best be for overwater bungalows will be in the Maldives, Cook Islands, Fiji and other islands in the South Pacific.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Check out Roatan and the Bay Islands.

Unless something has changed, the over-water structures on Canouan are part of the Raffles spa, not guest cottages.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Cayo Espanto is not OW...but fantastic! But actually as expensive as Bora Bora. Is isn't really that big of a deal unless the reef is good and you're not just looking a a bunch of sea spooge on glass...The experience is worth it if you go where it is worthwhile, like FP. The O/W accomodation at Coconuts in Samoa was fun but there was just sand under the unit, no reef.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Sunnyboy

To Peggy - At Cayo sevearl of the the accomodations is are right at the water's edge (probably less than a foot or two away) but I guess you are right in that they are not exactly over water.

To curiousx - at Raffels there are two "over water" units that are part of the Amitra Spa and there are two "over water" units on the other side of the bay (I think it's called Godahl Bay). These latter two were not yet in use as of a couple of months ago.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:53 PM
sp

I stayed at 9beaches in Bermuda when it was called Daniels Head. It was an awesome experience - the cottages were surprisingly roomy, very comfortable with 16ft, covered verandahs. Great change from everyday resorts - will definitely be returning.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:21 AM

thanks for the update re Raffles, Sunnyboy, I'll be in the region in the next few weeks and will check out the status of the 'over the water' cottages and report back (assuming I make it down channel to Canouan).
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

OP: Do you think overwater bungalows are dangerous for toddlers? I have a 3 yr old who's extremely cautious and doesn't try anything daring. I assumed that it would be, but not sure now...
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:01 AM

See today's/Sunday NYT travel section with feature on eco-resorts and more Punta Caracol details -- the area's just catching on in the press.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:00 AM

AM Resorts who owns the "Secret" and Dreams resorts in Mexico will break ground this month in Jamaica for a new Secrets resort that will have over water bungalows.
It won't be finished for about two years though. You could keep it in mind and delay your trip.
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Sunnyboy

topping for iluv2go

Old May 11th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Another option a lot closer to NYC than the Maldives or Bora Bora, but not in the Caribbean is Hotelito Desconcido on the west coast of Mexico, south of Puerto Vallarta.

I have not been there yet, but it is on my list for next year. It is an "eco resort" that has overwater bungalows (palafitos). The hotel receives great reviews on Tripadvisor.com and, although it is pricey, there are good package deals available on LuxuryLink.com

http://www.differentworld-mexico.com...s/entrance.htm
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Not in the caribbean, but Bermuda has a brand new resort with overwater bungalows called 9 Beaches.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Anthonys Key Resort in Roatan, Honduras