Notices

Crime in St. Thomas

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crime in St. Thomas

We are planning on renting a villa on St. Thomas in January and sre a little concerned with some of the talk about crime. Is it as bad as some would have you believe?
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:19 PM

No. Just don't walk around some of the residental areas at night where the drugs are being sold. And, unless, that's what you are looking for, you should be fine. We were told the same thing and we never felt unsafe.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 01:22 PM
cdt

In my opinion it's not a big problem. The crime rate is relatively high, but very few crimes involve tourists. We stayed in a condo near Red Hook and drove all over the island - felt quite comfortable.

However, we didn't roam around much after dark, and I would be hesitant to do so. Going from your lodging to a reputable restaurant, in taxi or rented car, is fine, but beyond that you should probably be careful at night.

Also, you might want to take some steps to make sure that the villa you rent is in a safe area. There are some nasty neighborhoods but it is highly doubtful a tourist rental would be located in one of them.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Hello Greg! I lived years in St. Thomas and never had any trouble.Juist dont wonder around at nightof course. Take the simplew precautions and coomon sense you would as if you were in some big city somewhere amnd you willl be OK. The Northside of the island is the safest area.You will be OK.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:13 PM

I lived in St Thomas for a long time. I never had any problems personally. However, I know some folks who did. However, most incidents involve people walking around dark streets at night. Most hotels / restaurants will want you to have a taxi waiting at night when you leave. Just use common sense, just because it looks like paradise does not mean that you should be careless. GL and have a great trip!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! It eases my paranoia.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM

I keep coming across the question of violence in the Caribbean.

I am no expert on the other islands but on St Barths you are at zero risk from any violence whatsoever. You can go anywhere you like, night or day, no drug dealers, no street traders, no racial tension.

I have never even heard talk of a tourist being hassled.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:45 AM

St. Thomas is no worse and no better than any other urban area. It has its low-income areas and its gated communities. I have to chuckle when I hear concerns about a place having a high crime rate. I live in a city and my suburban friends are always asking me about the high crime rates. Sure, I have had my radio stolen out of my car before but beyond that, it's my friends in their million dollar houses that are regularly burglarized and cars broken into in the suburban mall parking lot. Crime is everywhere. I think you just need to keep your wits, lock your house and car doors, and use a map so you know exactly where you're headed. You'll be fine.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:50 AM

I have been to St Thomas several times and have never felt unsafe there.

Though, like others have mentioned, it's never a good idea to go wandering about at night.

Have a taxi or driver ready after dinner or if wanting to go to the clubs and you will be fine!