St thomas-should I worry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I think we've narrowed our search to St Thomas, the reason being that with 3 kids ( 5, 7 and 11) it offers the most activities and we can get a nice place that accepts children. Now my only concern is "safety", from what I read in Frommers and on this board there is a pickpocket on every corner and houses get broken into...I know that most of the time these things are blown right out of proportions, but I'd like some personnal feedback please.
PS what's the weather like that time of year?
Thanks for any input!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:00 AM

What time of year? It's beautiful year round! I read many message boards and have never read anything about pick pockets on every corner. Sorry that doesn't happen here! Houses do get broken into as anywhere else in the world. You need to have the same precautions as you would back home and ask questions about which area not to go to. Millions of people travel here every year with no problems. I wouldn't worry!
Ronnie
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ronnie! this makes me feel a lot better. We are going mid-July.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:13 AM
cdt

Don't worry, be happy.
Unlike Ronnie, I don't own a business on St. Thomas.
We were there three years ago with a 15-year-old. We saw so many comments about crime that we almost switched our hotel reservations to Tortola (air to STT had been purchased separately).
We had a great time on St. Thomas, encountered no safety issues, even went out a few times after dark.
We found the local residents to be friendlier than we expected. It helps to start conversations with a greeting (good morning, good afternoon, etc.) before launching into the business at hand.

Unfortunately, St. Thomas and St. Croix do have fairly high crime rates. Much of this is drug-related and most crime is in locations a tourist would have no reason to visit. I would avoid wandering aimlessly around Charlotte Amalie at night.

In my opinion, the chance of a tourist becoming a crime victim on St. Thomas is very very low.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:38 AM

We too had heard about safety issues prior to visiting STT. We had no problems and never felt unsafe. Most of the probelms tend to be drug issues in areas that visitors don't go to and domestic violence.
Make sure you visit the Caribbean Chocolate Co. for a cold drink and wonderful chocolates.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:04 AM

We took our 4 year old in 2003 & we all loved it. He keeps asking when we're going back (we wanted to this spring but airfare was almost $900/person). I went to a beach by myself to snorkel & was fine. I don't take much jewelry or cash on vacation. Recommend getting a waterproof case to wear around your neck to hold room key & credit card when you're all in the pool.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your (positive) replies...I will call McCaulin Anderson tomorrow. I know airfair is expensive luckily we have travel miles so we should be able to work something out....how about grocery shopping? We want to rent a villa, is the "set up" comparable to the states? If we get in STT at 3:30PM on a saturday will we have time to go grocery shopping, are stores open late?
Thank you!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:20 PM
az

yes, the stores will still be open after you get to your villa. in red hook area (east end of stt), marina market will be open and can supply all your food/drink needs. villas have all other necessities: towels, sheets, dishes, utensils, spices, teas and usually refrigerated condiments (depends on whether or not maids are allowed to clean out "leftovers" after guests depart) suggest you go to your villa first to see what's there before going to grocery. we have even "inherited" some cokes/beer/liquor at some of the villas we've rented. and on some occasions we've left behind similar items for those who followed us.