Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

Apr 7th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Couples Negril or Excellence Punta Cana?

Hi,
We've been researching all inclusives for 4 nights in the beginning of June, and I think we've decided on either Excellence in Punta Cana in the D.R. or Couples...either Negril or Swept Away (not sure which one yet).

I'm torn!

The candid pictures on tripadvisor are definitely nicer for Excellence, but I keep reading great things about Couples. Both are AIs and both are adults only. I really like that Couples is just for couples.

Punta Cana is an hour and half further by plane, and I read that the beach is rough. But it's also a little cheaper than couples and has a slightly higher rating in our AAA travel book.

I've read that Couples is upscale. What exactly does this mean? We took a trip to the Poconos once, and while fun in a silly way, we really don't want all mediocre buffets and bad versions of The Newlyweds Game. We're in our early thirties and looking for relaxing luxury and romance. I can't get over that the pictures for Couple are not as nice as the ones for Excellence-but I really like what I'm reading about Couples.

So, what do you think? Thanks!
Apr 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Hi, think you said earlier you were from Virginia? We are too, and we have booked a week at Couples Swept Away in Negril in June - there is a non-stop flight from Dulles on United, Saturdays only, which makes the trip just over 3 hours, a real plus for us! Also love that it is not only "no kids" but "couples only", so you won't get the college/high school crowd. They have a huge sale going on, look at the Couples website. Good luck!
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We're actually in Richmond--home of very few direct flights. We can pretty much go to NY, Boston, Orlando, Atlanta and sometimes Miami direct.

I think we're leaning toward Excellence...but maybe the one near Cancun. It's more money, but the trip would be shorter and I think the rooms look nicer. We're also looking at the Aventura Spa Palace in the Riviera Maya.

I admit that all couples sounds really nice, but I just can't over the difference in the candid pictures. The Excellence just looks nicer...maybe the people at Couples are just not taking good pictures? LOL.
Apr 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM

My husband and I just returned from Excellence Punta Cana. Have never been to a Couples, so can't compare it to that, but we thought Excellence was really nice. Even though it says adults only, it'd definitely geared to a romantic vacation for couples. We saw very few singles while there - my guess is the clientelle is 95% couples. What do you expect from a place with king size canopy beds and a jacuzzi in every room?

The beach is beautiful and the hotel is on a private cove so there's plenty of room. People keep saying the water is "rough", but the waves were equivalent to a very mild day at Ocean City, MD or other East Coast beaches. We actually like some waves, but that's a personal choice. The grounds are also just stunning.

The atmosphere is very laid-back and romantic. There are some activities, but nobody's doing silly Newlywed type games. The age range is pretty wide, but the average is definitely older than you.

I see you are also considering the Riviera Maya area. That area has lots more activities outside the resort - ruins, lively towns etc. However, if you're only going to be there 4 nights, that may not matter.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll have a good time at any of these places.

Apr 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM

The Excellence that is south of Cancun has a lot of seaweed on the beach and in the water. If you are pool people this may not bother you. The place is beautiful. We stayed next door at the Paradisus and if it wasn't for that seaweed we would return to either one.