Club St. Lucia - any feedback?

Jun 20th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Kerr

Club St. Lucia - any feedback?

Hi,

Recently we my husband and I have been looking at going to St. Lucia and staying at Club St. Lucia as we have 2 small children and they only resort we have found that has a children's club for children under 4 years of age - thus allowing us time to be alone as well as time to be with the children.

I've read reviews from several sites and seem to get the impression that the food - depending the critic - is good to poor. Can anyone tell me what the menu is like? What is it comparable to north american restaurants?

As well can anyone confirm if the beach water is rocky or is it a nice beach? the reviews seem to mention that the beach is small and rocky bottom making it hard to play in the water.

And lastly the room reviews are mixed..we're not expecting a luxury resort but is it at least modern furniture and in good condition?

Any info will help as we've pretty much decided on this resort but I have a few intrepidations.

Thanks!

Jun 20th, 2002, 07:58 AM
anon

From what I've observed, particularly from wheretostay.com, is that it's mostly the Europeans that like Club St. Lucia while most of the Americans hated it. If you're an American I would suggest doing some major research before going here.

IMO, St. Lucia isn't that great of an island to begin with so I'd go somewhere else, especially if you're looking for the kid's club.

Jun 20th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Teddy

It's been a couple years since we went, but went back in '98. You get what you pay for. The food, it exactly what you read in the reveiews...just okay...some nights were better than others. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say a 4-6 depending on the night. It kept us fed throughout the week. We thought the italian restaurant that served pasta & pizza was again okay, scored about a 6. Not sure if they still have that or not. They also had a little hamburger hut that is good for mid day snacking. There's really no restaurant chain I can think of that would accurately compare. The fruits and salad stuff were usually very good, and some of the chicken & fish was okay, but it appeared as if some things got recycled with a different sauce for later meals.

We thought both pools were decent & perfectly clean. Certainly crowded some days. The beach was a bit small, but for what we needed, there was plenty of room. There was in fact some areas of the beach that were a little rocky upon entering, but if you walk down a little further from the resort, it was fine. We did quite a bit of snorkeling there, and really enjoyed it. A couple of the days the ocean was too rough and stirred up for snorkeling, but on the calmer days, you can swim out a ways, and find some decent coral, and a few fish. Unfortunately, we have been spoiled by snorkeling in Grand Cayman, so it simply doesn't compare. We spent some time on their 2nd beach which is a short walk up the road, and down a long steep set of stairs. This beach is very small, but is somewhat surrounded by cliffs....pretty cool place, and not crowded.

The rooms were basic, but plenty comfortable. Our was white tiled floor, and the furniture seemed to be plenty updated, and fine. The a/c worked just fine. I'd compare the room to maybe a Ramada Inn. Nothing great, but comfortable place to sleep & shower, etc.

Over all, it was a fun vacation, but let's face it, it's a budget resort. It's all what you make of it. St Lucia is a gorgeous island, with incredible views of the Pitons, and beautiful rainforests. I highly recommend taking a tour of both of these. The resort itself was okay for the money, and we traveled with a large group of 18 people,(9 couples), and the theme was to go somewhere warm, and party for cheap. This was the place. All inclusives are usually not known for gourmet meals, and luxurious rooms. They are what they are, usually comfortable, average food, and decent settings, made for either families or the party crowd depending on the resort. We have out grown the party days, and now prefer more quiet settings, with great food, so we no longer do All Inclusives, but for what you are looking for, Club St Lucia should be fine. Just don't expect 5 stars on a 2 star budget. Relax, and enjoy your trip....I know we did.

Jun 20th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Daz

We were there last year with a 12 year old and an 8year old, we had a suite which was an ok room. You have a pretty good walk to the pool beach or resturants but it was nice to walk after lunch or breakfast. The food was not bad the pizza was good for lunch and breakfast you could get just about anything cook to order. Dinner was so so some nights better than others. The beach is dark sand and rocks in the water, fun to play in but snorkling we found almost didn t exist. You really need to do a tour of the pitons really pretty. Over all it is not bad, it is not the best, but some of the reveiws for this resort are not true, before we left I read reviews about sewer running in the pool and cats in the dinning room and dirty rooms etc., it is not at all that bad, our kids loved it they loved the pools and didn t mind the beach. We to are spoiled from going to the turks, caymans and other places. If you haven t booked you might check the Wyndham all inclusive nicer beach and a nicer property.

Aug 8th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Shawn

Were were there March of '02. We have a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old with us. The resort was very clean and our room was clean and tidy, nothing fancy, tile floors, clean and adequate bedding. There was a front room with a couch and chair - couch pulled out into a double bed for the girls and a door for privacy to the master bed area - king bed, color tv, nice bath area. ALways plenty of hot water for showering, clean towels, etc. Staff was very accommodating and pleasant. We always left the housekeeper a tip and got early cleanings and plenty of towels. The activites crew worked very hard. They were not tipped (we did tip the guy who lead the bike tour - Junior). Food was adequate, not fancy, but plentiful, plenty of fresh fruits and juices and choices for breakfast, lunch wasn't the best, but perfect for kids - they even had a "mini" buffet for the children. Dinners were good and the specialty Japanese restaurant is a must. Very beautiful and great food.

The childrens' program was terrific. The baby parrots nest for our 2 year old took great care and the nannies were very attentive and caring. They got plenty of fresh air, but also kept cool indoors during high sun. They have cute little camp huts for the children with playground, etc. The camp for our 5 year old was equally as clean and organized, the counselors were very energetic and caring. They had daily activities (contests, beach fun, pool fun, movies, etc.) They even took them for lunch and dinner if you wish. We usually ended up picking our girls up early for missing them, but they never really wanted to leave just then.

We took a great tour through an outside vendor (at the main building you can schedule tours). It was "haute bagay" - loosely translated, "a little bit of everything". This was a full day catamaran trip from Rodney Bay to the Pitons. Great coastline tour and then onto land for a tour of the volcano, the rainforest and a lovely lunch at a banana/cocoa plantation house. Full day, lots of rum punch on board and great people. We also brought our children on this trip.

All and all, one of the best family trips we've taken to date. Would definitely go back to St. Lucia and certainly feel comfortable booking Club St. Lucia - not the Ritz, but just perfect for rest, relaxation and a little fun.