Anse Chastanet Resort St. Lucia

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Anse Chastanet Resort St. Lucia

Has anyone been to this resort in St.Lucia?
My husband and I have not been on a vacation
together since our honeymoon. We will be
celebrating our 20th anniversary in Dec. 2006
and are very low key. We love water sports,
hiking, exploring, biking and this place looks lush and romantic. Is there a town we
can either walk to or rent a car and drive to? We are waiting to hear back from our Travel Agent. Thanks Detyl
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM

My husband and I are looking seriously at Anse Chastanet as well (3 days there, 3 days Ladera). I have done pretty extensive research. The town of Soufriere is very nearby and sounds charming in a highly authentic way--which means you'll also see a low standard of living for many locals. Many posters have complained about this, but to us it will be an important aspect of seeing St. Lucia. I imagine it will be fun to poke around and eat at a restaurant or two. Also apparently the South coast of St Lucia has a number of "fishing villages" which I am interested in looking in to. Your description of what you and your husband are into sounds just like us...and we're 90% decided on Anse Chastanet (w Ladera). You also might look into Biras Creek...we were there a couple of years ago and we're basically looking to replicate this type of experience!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:49 PM

I have stayed at Anse Chastanet, but it was a few years back. Be sure to spring for the rooms further up the hill - not the octagonal rooms.

The further up you go, the better the rooms.

We loved the resort and would return. It is perfect for active people, because there is a LOT of walking and steps.

There is not a town within walking distance, but you can take a water taxi to some of the towns and beaches.

The snorkeling right off the beach in front of AC is very good.

pellsmith is very correct in the assessment that Soufriere is very much "old Caribbean." Some people are bothered by the visibility of poverty on the island, but that is the case with many islands in the Caribbean.

St Lucia is one of our very favorite islands for just the reason that it is one of the few places in the region that is largely unchanged over the last 20 years or so.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Is there anyone else other than Diana with strong feelings about Anse Chastanet? (Diana, keep the helpful comments coming, but where are the other rave reviews?) To me the open air rooms and steep steps are a PLUS...we love nature and exercise! However I am concerned about the following based on the many posts I've read:

1. Is the beach too small and crowded with non-guests of the hotel?

2. Is the food mediocre?

3. Is the snorkeling great or simply great relative to rest of St Lucia? (I am having trouble reconciling 'great snorkeling' comments with 'water is not clear blue')

4. Do the open rooms mean there's an issue of hearing other guests / being heard? Does it detract from the feeling of remoteness and privacy?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Well, I'll give you my .02 on these concerns. Over the years, I've noticed there are not many people who have stayed at this resort - it's not for everyone...

"1. Is the beach too small and crowded with non-guests of the hotel?"

No. The resort is VERY remote, and there were no non-guests when we stayed. There was plenty of room on the beach.

"2. Is the food mediocre?"

Not when we went. There were two rests. there to choose from and both were very good. (And we are PICKY.) Lots of fresh seafood and healthy choices. The view at breakfast is so lovely.

"3. Is the snorkeling great or simply great relative to rest of St Lucia? (I am having trouble reconciling 'great snorkeling' comments with 'water is not clear blue')"

The snorkeling is good - better than most of the rest of the island - and good for the Caribbean. (We've dove and snorkeled some of the best in the islands and it is above average, but not great.)

The water is clear when you are in it. The sand is dark/volcanic, so the water appears dark from land.

"4. Do the open rooms mean there's an issue of hearing other guests / being heard? Does it detract from the feeling of remoteness and privacy?"

I would think that might be an issue with some of the less-expensive rooms further down the hill as they are closer together. In our week+ there, we heard someone in an adjacent room leaving for dinner once when we were out on our balcony area.

Anse Chastanet is NOT for someone looking for a resort in the classic sense, or for someone not in good physical shape if you get an upper-level room. There is a LOT of climbing of stairs and steep hills.
The place is very exotic and a completely different experience.
Anyone wanting pampering and spa services and getting spritzed with Evian needs to look elsewhere.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM

I've stayed at Anse Chastanet too, but it was long ago - longer ago than Diana I'm afraid.

I would agree with every single comment she has made - we stayed in one of the "octagonal" rooms (a standard room I suppose) but it was wonderful. We had been advised to ask for a room "high on the hill" and we got one - so although we could occasionally hear noise from passersby, it still had privacy and view. Fresh flowers everywhere, louvered doors and windows that opened up all around, even the shower had a view! The bananaquits would fly into our room each morning to eat our sugar packets.

The staff was wonderful. The food was delicious (I had my first roti in the open air lunch restaurant down on the beach). I remember hearing that they purposely do not re-pave the potholed two mile road leading into AC so that casual visitors don't invade. Saw my first squid school snorkeling there - now that's otherworldy and beautiful!

I don't think town is walkable, but as Diana says there is a water taxi (carved out of a giant log!) that's an easy and memorable way to get into town. Check out Hummingbird for "lunch that lasts forever" (in a good way!). Also, book a dinner at Ladera (share a taxi with another AC couple like we did) at sunset time. Delicious.

Congratulations on your 20th!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Diana and Joan thank you very much! We definitely are looking for a unique, exotic (yet luxurious) experience, can handle the steps, and would never want Evian spritzing!

(All the Ladera and Jalousie guests talk about using AC beach--hence my question about the crowding.)

Happy travels!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the comments and
reviews on AC. I am really excited about the trip. I still have not heard
back from our travel agent about costs.
I think the water taxi sounds great.
Does everyone agree that you need to be
off the beach by dusk because of sand
fleas? or is that on other beaches??