St. Croix - where to stay?

Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

St. Croix - where to stay?

We are planning our first trip to St. Croix for Jan '06 on recommendations from friends and family - it's a close, relatively-easy plane trip and we have a toddler who will be just 3. We are looking for the following (in this order):
1. Fridge in room
2. Good snorkeling from beach so we can go one at a time (been to Tortola and Belize, if you want to define "good").
3. Pool
4. Decent, but casual, restaurant on premises and other dining options either walking distance or within 15-minute radius - seafood and vegetarian preferred.
5. Suite accommodations, or at least a balcony/patio - so we can put him down for naps but not us too.
6. A good hammock (maybe this should be first?).

We are considering Chenay Bay and Carambola, and we usually go for condo complexes and/or smaller properties so The Buccaneer does not appeal to us. Also looking at Tamarind Reef but it looks like a motel. We do not want to be right in Christiansted (sp?) as we are concerned about safety walking around at night (not being critical - we have been to guatemala - but not with a child).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kate
Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM

I have always wanted to stay at Carrington's Inn but that is not on the water. Perhaps you should look into Club St. Croix which is 5 minutes outside of Christiansted and on a beach with decent snorkeling. It's all-suites and seems pretty nice. Having a toddler myself, I know how important it can be to have good accomodations especially with good airconditioning. I'd also look into the Cormorant Beach Club which is also 5 minutes outside of Christiansted and seems very nice. The reviews I've read about Carambola and Chenay Bay have been spotty and they are also more remote than the other two I mentioned.
Aug 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Kate,
You might want to check out the reviews of the various hotels on tripadvisor.com. We all like different things, so it's best to check out the reviews to get a feel for places.

I would encourage you to think again about the Buccaneer. Even though it's big in area, it's got a small feel. Their family cottage would give you two rooms, a fridge, chaise lounges overlooking the Caribbean (a view to die for), a pool (although not a kiddie pool), good snorkeling right off their beach, easy access (7 minutes) to Christiansted's restaurants. Not a casual restaurant on premises for dinner.

I'm partial, I'll admit it. There are definitely other places to stay on St. Croix. Just want you to be sure to check them out from many different reviews.
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM

I don't know that there ARE any resorts on St. Croix where you can go snorkeling directly on their beach-the best snorkeling is near Buck Island, which you can only get to by boat from Christiansted. The only other place I can think of is East of Christiansted, and I don't know that there are resorts on the water there-just smaller properties with 15 rooms or so.

I have to say, I HIGHLY recommend Carrington's Inn. We stayed their during our "weddingmoon" on St. Croix and just absolutely ADORED it. The view is gorgeous, the innkeepers are wonderful, the breakfasts were TO DIE FOR and my favorite part was that all the rooms open right onto the pool (and there are only 5 rooms there). We probably went for a night dip every single night we were there, as it was only us and maybe one other couple most of the time. The package we got for our time there included an island tour AND the Buck Island sail-definitely look at their packages, well worth it.

Best of luck to you!
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM

We've been to the Carambola twice and love it. You should get a rental car as this property is miles away from Christiansted . . besides, it's a great island to explore. The grounds of the Carambola are beautiful and back in Feb. 2004, they were beginning to renovate all the rooms. They are spacious with a wonderful screened-in porch for relaxing. They also have a sitting area with a love seat, coffee table, etc. Ask for a second floor room which has a beautiful valuted ceiling. They do have a fridge in each room and we did see a few people snorkeling from the beach. Their swimming area is small due to sea urchins, but big enough for the number of people at the resort. We ate most dinners off site - the menu at the Carambola was limited but everything we had was good. Their Friday Night Pirate's Buffet with entertainment is wonderful and draws many locals.
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Club St. Croix is crap.... I have seen it a few times and cant beleive anyone would stay there. Carambola sounds like a much better fit. while not good for walking, you are 15 minutes away from everything in St. Croix. A good local family run resturant thats not too far away is Villa Morrales. Serves Latin and Caribbean food at very reasonable prices.
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I would suggest Carambola also. It is very nice. I spent about 2 weeks there and loved the hotel.
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Kate--I'll add to the suggestion to rethink the Buccaneer--even though the property is large, the area you will use is actually quite small (hope that makes sense!); we were there last year and stayed in the family cottages (two bedrooms separated by a bathroom--an arrangement that is very hard to find in the Caribbean); we had a then 5-year old who loved the place and there were many families with toddlers; a wonderful woman from the front desk babysat for us one night and it was great. There is a fridge in the room and restaurants no more than 15 minutes from the hotel. There is also very good kid-friendly food at the hotel.

Mary
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Wanted to add one other thing to ccrosner (who helped me with St. Croix last year, thank you); the casual restaurant at the Buccaneer beach stayed open for dinner for families (the food was good and the typical children's menu: chicken, fish, grilled cheese, french fries); I want to say they served until 7 and there was no need to change from the beach (my daughter eats by six so that was perfect).

Mary
Sep 11th, 2005, 05:00 PM

To Marymarra--thanks for the thanks. I tried to respond to your March posting (which I now can't remember) and it bounced back. Felt bad I never responded. Was glad you liked the Buccaneer's family cottages and your trip was fun. Some times when we've been there the Mermaid, beach-side restaurant has been open for dinner and most of the time it has not. So they can't count on it (unless the Buc has made a permanent change).

We're returning in FEb. '06 even though the frequent flyer people are making it impossible and prohibitive to go....
Sep 11th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Ccrosner--thanks for thinking of me--very sweet! Right, the Mermaid may or may not be open--I think it does depend on occupancy.

Aren't the FF people a drag?!?

Stellablue--good luck--this will be a fun decision no matter where you land!

Mary

Search this Thread