Club Med-Turks & Caicos: Weather question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for the best time of the year to go when the weather is in the 80's-90's. Looks like they close July & Aug (is this due to hurricane season?) I can't travel in Nov or Dec.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:18 PM

For me, I'd say that's the worst weather imaginable---and that doesn't include the added risk of hurricanes in the summer. If you are looking for warm temps and less of a chance for hurricanes, then May or June are the best months. If you can book a last-minute trip, then anytime in the summer is good as long as you watch the weather reports for possible hurricanes and tropical storms (most other rain fronts will pass by quickly and not totally wreck your vacation). Early summer is my favorite time in the Caribbean (preferably before all the schools let out), when rates are lower and temps are still warm. The best weather on land is actually in February or March, when the temps are in the very low 80s during the day and cooler at night (for me, at least). If you are looking for warm water, though, it's better after May 1.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug. Looks like I will postpone T&C until next March for the ideal weather. Does anyone have a map that shows where Club Med is located? Anywhere near Grace Bay?
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Club Med is on Grace Bay.
I've been plenty of times there in July and August, and had great weather.
Hurricanes can happen anywhere in Caribbean (and most of the East Coast) in July and August, last year was a bad year for that. Having said that, everything is cheaper, and except for hurricanes, the weather is perfect. There is usually 4-7 day warning on hurricanes, and if the island you picked is in the target, airlines and hotels will not charge a penalty to change dates. Another thought, is get hurricane insurance.
If it's not worth the stress, (we seasoned travels are always taking chances, but we understand that a special trip may not be worth the stress) then make plans for March.
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM

carla, you can find a wonderful map on the FAQ page of www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com
most provo resorts are on grace bay including club med. you will see it at the bottom of the map (actually eastern end of island) by the golf course. i was on island 3/18-4/2 and suggest you wait til mid-april for your trip, to see any 90's. everything will be cheaper then too as low season will start.
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Great map,thanks Viginia. I had no idea there were so many resorts on Grace Bay. Are there alot of highrises or construction going on ( I am trying to avoid this)I have been to Cancun and it was WAY to crowded. I would love to stay in one of those villas but am traveling solo, that is why I thought Club Med would suite me better.

Blamona, have you been to Club Med or did you mean Grace Bay several times?

By the way, is Provo a short term for Providenciales (don't laugh...this is all new to me!)
I definitely want to go when the water temp is the warmest as well as the day & evening temps. Don't know why the web was showing no dates for July & Aug the other day, now its showing available today, go figure.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Provo is short for Provedenciales. Not a silly question, most people haven't heard of Turks and Caicos, much less Provedenciales.
I have not spent the night at Club Med, but I've walked passed it plenty of times. Club Med is on a fine piece of Grace Bay Beach. I've stayed at many other resorts on Grace Bay.
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:51 AM

i've been on provo 3 times. late march, late april, and mid nov. nov was by far the hottest and the water definetly the warmest.
if you are looking for the camraderie of club med then go for it. if safetly is your measure then any resort on the beach will be wonderful. it is one of the safest places in the carib you can go. there are dozens of great restaurants to try. provo has NO highrises. i believe 7 floors is tops. there is construction going on. in march there were 2 cranes. they will be gone by next spring>fall, but others may appear. most ppl report they see and hear nothing from the beach. you will def not be looking inland. at this time their is no building near club med but blamona might know if anything is planned for next year as she stays on that end of the island.
while i have not been to cancun i believe you will find no comparison in numbers of ppl. provo does not even really have a town.
i say go when you think you will enjoy the island the most but do get trip insurance if its in summer/fall.
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

I would love to stay at Coral Gardens but want to avoid feeling like a loner surrounded by honeymooners and kids. That's why I thought Club Med would be good,like you say..the comraderie. Does it get humid there, if so is it during July & August like I experrienced in Cancun?
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Carla,
I just returned from Provo Fri. I stay next to Club Med at Ocean Club so I know the beach well. Believe me, you will never feel crowded there, it is the largest stretch of beach on Grace Bay. You will never hear construction from there, the closest new building is the other side of OC and it's almost done. As to the weather, if you want really warm, I would not go in March, it can be cool at that time. The weather while I was there (April 26-May 5) was lovely. Warm during the day and cool at night. Having said that, I go in July every year and it's very warm(not terrible) and the water is always perfectly calm and lovely. There is usually a nice breeze so it doesn't feel that hot, but then again, I like it hot.
Hope this helps.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Provogirl. I like it hot & still not clear if it gets humid in July like Cancun & is the water like the Caribbean (warm bath water?) I like the warm evenings. Cancun is all I have to compare to. Would I be crazy to go with Club Med but also book a room at the Sands? I love the idea of hanging out with other singles & activities at Club Med but the accomodations are boring. I am thinking of late may early June 2007.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM

CarlaM, you can buy day or night passes to Club Med, so you can stay somewhere else if you want too. Royal West Indies is right next door, and is a great resort!
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Blamona, that's great news! How can I find out the cost for these passes? Also, still waiting on a reply concerning humidity in the summer. Can you help answer this please? I will check out RWI in the meantime, thanks for you valuable information!
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Carla,
As Blamona said, you can buy passes for Club Med. I would not do the additional expense and stay two places. RWI is nice, as is OC. OC has a nice friendly bar/restaurant-Cabana- right on the beach and it's next to Club Med.
I can not promise that you won't have humidity in the summer. However, there is almost always a breeze and you can always jump in the water if you're too hot. Both RWI and OC have umbrellas to sit under, so you do have shade. Club Med has a few thatched type covers, but not many, so you're much more exposed.
Hope this helps.
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Provogirl. The humidity doesn't bother me, just curious if its similar to Cancun and if the water gets as warm. As soon as I find out how much the passes to Club Med run I can determine what resort to stay at. Ocean Club looks really nice, would want to have "beachfront", do they have single suites for beachfront do you know?
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM

CarlaM: Club med evening pass $65, friday dinner $75, Disco pass $40 with drinks additional, must make reservations by 7pm.
I never notice humity at the beach, because of the breeze of the ocean, but July and August are hot, weather similar to Cancun.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Carla

We stayed at Coral Gardens late July last year and the weather wasn't good it rained most days - it wasn't an issue either since you can still snorkel in the rain

Most guests when we were there were couples ranging from early 30's to seniors - no children while we were there except for our 16yr old. It was rather boring for him although he did enjoy the snorkeling and the watersports.

Most children came from Beaches but even then the beach outside the CG wasn't crowded.

Just go off-season when the kids are in school, the small kids generally don't like to snorkel so I can imagine the beach will be empty since it wasn't over-run when we went and that was one of my main worries.

If snorkeling is high on your list of things to do then CG's is the best place to stay - A little restless? you don't need to get in your car or walk to snorkel, it's right outside your door!