cell phone usage in St. Thomas

Mar 6th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

cell phone usage in St. Thomas

Does anyone know if Verizon plan cell phones will work in St. Thomas? I see that Sprint and Cingular have coverage, but I can't tell from Verizon's information. Thanks in advance for any info.
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Yes, Verizon definitely works all over the USVI, St Thomas, St John and St Croix. You may or may not pay for roaming depending on your plan but it will work!
Have fun!!
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:43 AM

I have Verizon and on a recent trip to the Southern Caribbean I could not use my phone. Maybe it is just my plan.Before I left I asked a Verizon rep. and I was told they do not service those areas.(this was last year.) Not even in PR did it work. When I tried to call someone intercepted and said I needed a credit card to complete the call. I gave up!
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:33 AM

My Verizon phone worked on two recent trips to the USVI. The southern Caribbean is an entirely different area from the USVI. Verizon is a local carrier in the USVI along with Cingular, Sprint and ATT
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Verizon is supposed to cover USVI as basic package if you have their America's Choice Plan. If you have a national single rate plan I think I was quoted .75 per minute.

Another alternative if not covered is an ATT prepaid calling card. You can buy them at WalMart in various denominations [for example $5 for 60 minutes], and I checked - in the USVI it is just like using them domestically. Just remember there is a 35 cent federally mandated payphone surcharge - altho you have to put 25 cents/4 minutes in the payphones even to dial an 800 number so the 35 cent charge may or may not apply.
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Yes, depending on your plan you might have roaming charges. Believe that your voice mail can be accessed only by dialing your own number and getting messages. The only problem is that there are at times dead spots when you are behind a hill or on the east end of St. John the signal may not be picked up.
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who wrote! I am going to take my cell phone (Verizon)for incoming calls, AND prepaid calling cards just in case.
Mar 10th, 2003, 01:06 PM

I called before I went on a cruise and was told St. Thomas was the only area in the Caribbean served. However, I used my phone in St. Thomas to leave a message and was told later that the service was so bad that my message was incomprehensible. So make sure you have a back up.