Cell Coverage St. John?

Search

Cell Coverage St. John?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell Coverage St. John?

Anyone recently use Verizon Wireless in St. Thomas/St. John? (were you roaming/credit card?)<BR><BR>Verizon indicates no coverage/roamer agreements in the USVI, though I read some time ago that someone used Verizon service in St. John and got billed local rates.<BR><BR>RF signal will travel all day on the water, so it's possible that Verizon indicates no coverage and service will actually work--hence my question.<BR>Thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:55 AM

What about Sprint PCS...anyone know about that?
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:05 PM

bump
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:26 PM

I looked up on the Sprint website and supposedly they have coverage in the USVI and Puerto Rico. I have never tried it (but will in 2 weeks) and have never heard of anyone who has. I'd be interested to hear from a Sprint PCS customer to see how good their service is on St. JOhn.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 07:26 AM

I used my Verizon Wireless in St. John and at the St. Thomas airport in November. We had no problems with reception at Caneel Bay nor at the airport. The calls did roam, however. I dug out my bill and find that the charges were not too bad. A 4 minute call back to the U.S. during the day was $2.60. We didn't make any calls at night so I don't know if there would be a difference in price. We had calls on the weekend and during the week and they seem to have been billed at the same rate so peak and off-peak pricing may not be an issue.<BR><BR>As an additional note, we were also able to use our Verizon cell phone in Tortola when we were there last spring. Verizon had told us that they had no coverage in the Caribbean but we were able to use our phone in both the British and U.S. Virgin Islands.