Search

cayman islands

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cayman islands

Wondering if anyone could help, been on quite a few holidays africa, europe and indian ocean side now want to venture over to the caribbean side. Was looking at cayman islands ( grand cayman ) have done a bit of research and like what I see. Answers that I want to find out is : is september the right time to go what will the weather be like as I've seen that there is no best month to go? Will probably go for 14-16 days will there be enough time to visit little cayman and cayman brac? Is there a lot to see on all islands or am I better to just stay on 1 of the island? Your help would be appreciated
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 03:22 AM

Peak hurricane season weather2travel.com

Winter best there at 7 mile beach Marriott.com my fav

Have been going there over 30 years including flying

my own plane there pretty beaches flat other islands

hard to get to... would just stay at 7 mile and chillax

tour the island...GREAT diving black coral forests sting

rays otherwise underwhelming.

In September I would go out of storm belt like

St Lucia jademountain.com Barbados Fairmont 2 I like...

Islands are greographically lots prettier more varied.

Happy Planning!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 05:24 AM

While we always visit in September, qwovadis correctly advises it is the peak of Hurricane season in the Caribbean. The most popular months to visit the Cayman Islands are February - April when there is the smallest chance of rain and lowest humidity making for what many find the most comfortable weather. It is also the most expensive and crowded(used in the relative sense) period on the islands. May and June are two other great months to visits, slightly warmer, but less crowded and expensive. The summer months generally have the calmest waters (can be lake like at times) but the heat and humidity are at their highest.

The greater Seven Mile Beach area (including the bookends of George Town and West Bay) is the main tourist destination on the island due to its famous stretch of beach, plethora of hotels, condos, tourist attractions, dinning and shopping.

The less developed and more laid-back East End and North Side/Rum Point ares are the other more popular destinations. With fewer dinning options and amenities, but better snorkeling, these locations are appreciated by those looking for more of a low-key experience.

The Sister Islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman offer a different experience - even more laid back and much less developed. They can be reached by air service from Grand Cayman. If you are not a diver or avid snorkeler, a day or two on each is usually enough for many first-time visitors to take in the sights. Some folks will find they enjoy the peace, tranquility and general solitude others may find it too "quite".

If staying 14-16 days, a trip to the Sister Islands is definitely worth considering. Each of the islands has its own flavor, but all are small and compact so exploring is easy.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 05:35 AM
KVR

I would avoid September and October just to be on the safe side. Even with hurricane/trip insurance it will not cover or re-pay you for a bad holiday.

We went in a November, the first week, and the weather was perfect. Crowds low and prices down also. We generally go to Mexico/Carribbean every year either the first week of November or the first week of December and have not had any issues with weather.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Ok thankyou all for your messages maybe cayman islands are not the best to go to in september from all your responses. Thanks for your help though.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM

Turtle Tagger...you mentioned that the snorkeling is better in the north shore and east end....where exactly are you referring to? Some of the reefs along 7MB are awesome. I always found the water too rough for snorkeling on the north shore.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM

Bassguy66,

While the water can get a bit too feisty some days during the winter months on the north shore, conditions the rest of the year are usually very good.

Some of the best spots are the Rum Point Coral Gardens and Barrier Reef, Queen's monument/Connolly's Cove and Barefoot Beach. The water is much shallower in these locations than some of the south shore's better spots like Eden Rock, Cheeseburger or Cemetery Beach.

Here are some links to guides for those sites:

http://caymansnorkelblog.blogspot.co...der-coral.html
http://caymansnorkelblog.blogspot.co...rier-reef.html
http://caymansnorkelblog.blogspot.co...connollys.html
http://caymansnorkelblog.blogspot.co...oot-beach.html
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the links.

I will have to check out those areas for sure. Eden Rock was my favorite spot by far....loved the deeper water and the amount of fish there. Love swimming along with the giant Tarpon there and at the wreck of the Cali. Cemetary was good, but my favorite spot on 7MB was the reef out in front of Treasure Island....teaming with life.

Looks like I have much more exploring to do...Thanks again!!